Fertilizer Friday–January 21, 2011

I have been finding time to branch out with the blog and join in some monthly and occasionally a weekly garden blogging meme.  What’s a meme…well to garden bloggers it is a theme that you write your post around and then link with the host blogger of the meme.  In this instance it is the weekly Fertilizer Friday hosted by Tootsie Time.  We are asked to “flaunt our flowers” inside or out regardless if you fertilize (although this is a reminder to do so).

Since we have had nothing but snow, I thought a trip down memory lane might brighten up theses white days.  I decided to feature a plant that has given me 4 seasons of interest and has been fun to take pics of all year–Belle of Woking clematis.  It is a type 2 clematis which means it produces flowers from both the prior year’s growth and this season so you get flowers in spring and early fall.  It is best pruned in early spring.

Belle of Woking is considered the standard in a double clematis.  It was introduced in England in 1875.

This plant brightens the front of my house and grows in a hot, mostly sunny spot with her feet deep in the shade of other perennials.  It is prolific even if I hard prune it in March or early April.

These blooms showed up en masse in May.

I love how the flower buds first appear.

Once the flower petals fall these amazing seed heads appear and stay this beautiful until fall when they are joined by a second flush of bloom.

The seed heads soften in later fall to resemble feathers.

These are still going strong in January after the thaw.

And still looking beautiful under this white hat from the recent snow storm.

Hope you enjoyed this Fertilizer Friday…..

If you’ve never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom.  ~Terri Guillemets

Alas it is a feathery brown….but come spring it will be one of the first to green, bud and bloom…I can see it now from where I am working and cannot wait!!

1. Esther Montgomery says:

I have a sorry, spindly Belle of Woking. When I planted it, I hadn’t realised there was concrete a bit of a way under its roots. It has its own trellis but the flowers looked like scrumbled paper last year and hung from it limply. I have seen photos of other, beautiful specimens. Maybe I should give it some compost now and hope for the best. If it doesn’t buck up this season . . . it’s days are numbered!

Esther

I hear you…plants have to be self sufficient in my garden…I found Belle needs her feet in the shade and her roots need to be deep and have room….my other clematis that did not do well were lacking in either some shade on roots or I had not planted them deeply enough…hope she performs better!!

2. Carolflowerhillfarm says:

Donna, You have captured the clematis feathery seeds so beautifully! It has such a wonderful grace . . . I love the seeds nearly as much as the flowers. Have a lovely weekend! Thank you so much for your kind comment!! I hope you get to see your Oriole nest this year!

Carol, I love the seeds too…the plant sits out of my office window and is in the front where I can see it…I will certainly be on the lookout now for that nest… 🙂

3. Cat says:

I’m so enchanted by clematis…and yours is beautiful! They don’t tend to do very well here in Austin although I think there may be a couple varieties that can thrive if given the right conditions…you’ve inspired me to research them and give it a go!

4. Dave says:

It beautiful, All the way through to the seed heads. Clematis is one plant I need to add more of in my garden. I need a few good trellises first though. Thanks for commenting on my post!

Dave I enjoyed your post…you can also find clematis that is bushy or likes to trail through the garden like a ground cover..also they love the pyramid trellis or up along and over a fence…and then you can also train them to go up and through a tree especially a dead tree…so many ways they will grow…

5. Heather at Dusty Bay says:

Hi there! Lovely blog, great photos! I’m told that for the early blooming Clematis the time to prune is right now and to make sure that there is a shrub or something at the stem to shield it from the direct sun.

6. Liane Benedict says:

Donna,
    I spent a little time this morning catching up on some of your blog posts. I am so amazed and inspired by you! You are inspiring others as well. thank you for sharing all of your insights, thoughts and of course your beautiful flowers! I can’t wait to stroll through your garden again this spring or summer. We can bring a bottle of wine with us… 🙂

7. Jan (Thanks For Today) says:

Now this is a Clematis that I should have had by now! Not only is it gorgeous but it blooms in both spring and fall…which is a definite plus. If it could just keep those blooms all year long, it would be even more perfect! But like you, I love seeing clematis seed heads and in fall/winter. They provide such visual interest–with or without adding snow or ice;-)

8. Alison says:

You’ve chosen a wonderful meme to join! I don’t always have something to show for it out of season. These are great pics of the fluffy seedheads of clematis. And the flowers are so pretty too, they look like doubles.

I love these kinds of posts, that show the plant through all its different stages.

9. Tootsie says:

wow…I think that is the most gorgeous clematis I have EVER seen! I am just drooling!
    wow…ya…just wow..can’t even think of anything else to say! lol
    thank you so much for linking in this week!!! I hope you will do so again soon…I can’t wait to see what else you have to share!
    WOW…….