Fertilizer Friday-Awaiting Early Spring Blooms

This fall I decided to plant some early blooming bulbs that could be seen from my front window near the porch where there is sun and the snow melts first.  I was tired of waiting for the mounds of snow to melt in the other areas of the garden I could not get to or see easily.  Of course I am hopeful that the snow crocuses will come up with snowdrops first in this warmer area.  We shall see.  I have had snow crocuses come up as early as mid-February when we have had mild winters which this winter is not.  Still I am an optimist.

So with everything buried beneath several feet of snow and frigid temps, I decided to write about on one of my favorite very early blooming bulbs, Dwarf Dutch Iris.  I posted a picture of these beauties recently and had many questions about them; and I still get lots of questions from neighbors and friends when they see these in bloom in my yard.  They make a stunning display as they grow in and multiply.

Known as Iris reticulata it has a very large flower and grows to 5 inches tall in zones 3-8.  They bloom in early April.

This plum color is one of the rarest and most beautiful.  It is also comes in various shades of purple and blue to almost white.

These yellow ones are actually Iris danfordiae, but called Dwarf Dutch iris as well.  They are recognized by the bright canary yellow color and grow in zones 5-9.

Dwarf Dutch Iris love well drained soil and grow in rock gardens, beneath trees or bushes, out in the garden bed or forced indoors.  They are said to be deer resistant, and so far I have to concur.

I recommend growing these beauties for a great show come early spring.

The flowers of late winter and early spring occupy places in our hearts well out of proportion to their size.  ~Gertrude S. Wister

Head on over to Tootsie Time to see who else is flaunting their flowers today!!

1. Cyndy says:

Those are sweet flowers, just waiting for all the snow to melt. I also love the i. cristatas, though they are not the first to bloom.

2. alistair says:

Donna, we really are just itching for plants to get going. We have not had any snow for a few weeks now and temperatures are quite reasonable. Just planted out some Orienpets this morning. Its a while since I had the Iris Reticulata in the garden,they always seemed to be a one season wonder here, I may have been getting something wrong, think I will try them again as they are very beautiful. Snow Crocus thats a new one to me, is it just a local name for the regular Spring Crocus.

3. Valerie says:

I love the little dwarf iris in my garden too. They will not be in sight until some time in May though so you are luck to see them in February. Very nice.

4. Esther Montgomery says:

Annoyed that snowdrops won’t grow in my garden and only one crocus flowered this year, I bought a pot of purple Iris reticulata and put it outside my window so I could see it from the house!

Esther

Oh Esther I don’t know what I would do without my snowdrops and crocus….how wonderful you have a pot of iris reticulata…hopefully the iris will bring a bit of early spring bulbs to your garden!!

Your dwarf iris are really beautiful! I especially love the blue and yellow ones. Spring gives us something to look forward to!
    Blessings, Beth

Darla how wonderful if yours do bloom..they are so beautiful albeit for a short time until the pouring rains or unexpected heat come in early spring… 🙂

I always admired the reticulata irises. Such a big flower in such a stout plant. They are a treat when they bloom because they are often a show stealer at that time of year. I love crocus too, but so it seems, so does Gaylord the squirrel.

I agree they are a show stealer…my neighbors are always wondering what they are…I love my crocus too but so do the voles…at my old house we had a gang of squirrels that would mow them down…they will pop up and I will catch a few pics and then they will be gone thx to the voles…oh well I can love them from the photos!!

7. Lavender Cottage says:

I have iris reticulata naturalized out the front and a dwarf form of iris in my rock garden at the back.
    The flowers don’t last a long time if it’s hot but they sure are beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing yours and I can hardly wait to enjoy mine.

8. Gail says:

Donna, Maybe you can help me figure out, why oh why I haven’t planted these lovelies. They are delightful and would look perfect with the daffs and crocus. Next year for sure! gail ps keep warm and safe out there.

thx Gail…you can’t go wrong with these and they are stunning with daffs and crocus….glad you liked them…we are in for a bit of a warm up to the low 30s with some snow this weekend …

Hi Donna, I got a massive boost when I saw my iris reticulata (blue) showing leaves in the pot I planted them in just yesterday. They are truly beautiful flowers. I’d not come across that deep purple form, I now have a voice in my head telling me I really need to find some…

Hope you get snow crocuses, snowdrops and Iris in abundance very soon.

10. dona says:

As already told you in your earlier post, I really love this kind of short irises and I’m going to look for buying some in next autumn. Local nurseries don’t sell them, but I’ll try to find them in Dutch online shops.

Dona that is wonderful…that is how I got them from Dutch online stores that import here…let me know what you find…I will bet you will find even more varieties…

11. Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings says:

Your post makes me think I should venture out in the back garden tomorrow to see if my little Dutch iris have bloomed yet, along with Galanthus. I can dream anyway.

I love that you planted yours where you can easily see them in the part of the yard where the snow first melts.

Thanks for your kind words about my little story.

12. Tootsie says:

well I wish now that I had some of those to look forward to! I love the blues!!!
    I hope you get an early spring…I am sick of winter too!!!!
    thanks for linking in this week!