Garden Journal-Dog Days of August

“August rushes by like desert rainfall,
A flood of frenzied upheaval,
Expected,
But still catching me unprepared.
Like a matchflame
Bursting on the scene,
Heat and haze of crimson sunsets.
Like a dream
Of moon and dark barely recalled,
A moment,
Shadows caught in a blink.
Like a quick kiss;
One wishes for more
But it suddenly turns to leave,
Dragging summer away.”
–  Elizabeth Maua Taylor

I found this lovely poem that captures how I feel whenever August, especially the middle of August, rolls around.  Before I blink, summer is gone.  The weather shifts, the blooms fade for some and others burst forth to give us a final wave of glory before the frost takes it all.  The veg garden goes back under cover as the cold weather approaches.  But that is all in the future albeit the near future.

For now we have been experiencing some dog days this August with heat in the high 80s and low 90s.  Blessed rain, inches of it this week, with a sudden cooling to the upper 70s and low 80s. The local meteorologist has said we are averaging 4 degrees above normal this summer.  That is a lot for us, but many other regions around the country are experiencing even more extreme heat and drought this summer.

Let’s see what has been blooming so bravely this long, hot summer and still continues this Garden Blogger’s Bloom Day.  The 15th of the month gardener’s share their garden blooms through this wonderful meme hosted by Carol at May Dreams  Gardens.  In the picture above, are Resurrection Lilies (they are supposed to be Naked Ladies, Belladonna Lily or Amaryllis belladonna).  I bought these flowers that are supposed to be annuals in my zone, but they surprised me with their strong return.  That was when I noticed they were not Naked Ladies, but Resurrection Lilies. I can’t wait to plant more next year.

Veg Garden

I planted Organic Tuscan Garlic this year, and as you can see our garlic harvest is ready to use.  It is yummy with some heat.  No mild garlic in this house.  The cayennes (bottom left) are still growing and ripening.  We have already dried and used some.  Yum.  The little sprouts (bottom center) are the radishes already growing after a week.  Can’t wait to harvest some in a few weeks.  Lastly, I have hatch green chiles growing (bottom right).  The plants are lush with lots of flowers and finally some fruit.  YIPPEE!!  Now to get them to grow, ripen and harvest before frost…but that is a long way off, right?

Perennials

Ever faithful native rudbeckia blooms and stays this gorgeous for weeks, even months.  It glows under the summer sun all over my garden.  I only planted a few plants.  It has found its way to other far reaches of the yard where it now brightens those spots in the hottest, driest conditions.  Of course it also loves the wet areas of the yard too.  How can you go wrong?

Phlox ‘David’, another native, I thought was lost to me by the munching deer, but as you can see it decided to bloom anyway.  Although it is half the size, it stills glows in my white garden.  Hummers and I are happy.

This lovely coreopsis is a new addition.  It is Redshift.  I love the jagged petals splotched with red.  They will continue to develop a bit more red from the center outward.  This native plant is stunning and a survivor of the floods of spring.

Another wonderful surprise was ligularia ‘Othello’.  I wasn’t sure if they would bloom what with all the dry weather, but I should see more showing off their sunny heads soon.  Again this is a native plant.  Can you sense a theme?  My natives were incredible performers this summer.

Meadow

There hasn’t been much change but if you can spot what is growing around the echinacea, you’ll know what will be blooming soon-asters!!  Can’t wait for them to appear in the meadow.

Robins

What can I say?  The little ones have fledged.  I spied them Friday morning out of the nest.

Isn’t she the cutest thing.  She was very reluctant to leave.  Took her hours.  I call her Prudence because she was so cautious.  I am writing a whole post about the amazing experience that you can read on Wednesday.

Here she is finally on the grass.  She hardly has a tail.  Just 13 days after they hatched and they are gone 🙁

sunflower waiting to open

“And summer’s lease hath all too short a date.”  William Shakespeare

Book Update:

For those that have asked, my 2 poems are being published in the book, The Moment I Knew, August 26th.  You can see the announcement in my blog post.  Information about sale of the book is:

1. The book will be for sale at www.SugatiPublications.com as well as other online and independent booksellers (e.g. Amazon, Barnes and Noble).
  2. Preference is for folks to buy directly from Sugati Publications because the charities selected, who will profit from the sale of the book, will get a greater amount of the profits.  If folks buy from other booksellers (e.g., Amazon) then the book seller gets about 40% which significantly cuts into the charities profits as well.

Special Note: All flowers and critters pictured here are from my garden.  Flaunt your flowers at Tootsie Time this Friday where she hosts Fertilizer Friday.  I’ll be flaunting mine.

Monthly (usually around the 10th) I guest blog at Walkabout Chronicles.  See my new post!

Have a great GBBD, Donna. Your garden looks to be doing well in this dry summer. Fall is right around the corner and hope, with it, cooler temps and mild rains.

Surprisingly it is doing well. The natives fared wonderfully, and with the recent rain it has rebloomed in so many ways. Of course the weeds are hanging in there too…Happy GBBD to you too!!

Thx Christine..the garden is being enriched with rain, weeding by the owner and some needed compost soon…several projects happening in the coming year to make it better still…hope you enjoy Wed with Prud

2. Curbstone Valley Farm says:

Oh! I can’t believe you mentioned the ‘F’ word! Not frost, no, can’t even think about that right now…not with green peppers and tomatoes in the garden. I hope both our peppers have a chance to ripen this summer. I’m with you, mid-August is bittersweet. July it feels like summer, but come September there’s no denying the changes of fall. I’m glad your robins fledged this time. I know it’s always a little sad when they leave, but here I’m also uplifted knowing they survived long enough to fledge. She does look a little awkward without much of a tail, but it is amazing how fast they grow. Two weeks from egg, to (almost) independence! Looking forward to reading your post on Wednesday!

I know it is a bad word to even consider. Glad you enjoyed the post and it is amazing how quickly animals grow. I will keep good thoughts for warm weather through October for both of us:)

I know we whine about high temps but 90s and high 900s are excessive for our cold blood…here’s hoping for a cool down for you…Redshift is such a cool plant and a new fav…Happy GBBD

3. One says:

Hi Donna, Your garlic stood out. I wonder why garlic doesn’t grow for me. Ginger does.

Fall is going to beautiful. Something that I will not see in my country. Will look forward to fall photos from you in the next few months…

I think Garlic has to have a cold period like some other bulbs. Glad you liked that photo…I hope that the garden and trees don’t disappoint for fall…can’t wait to share pics of fall from the NE!!

I love your redshift coreopsis! It’s hard to believe that already we are talking about the end of summer. Our temps are still in the 90s, but today’s breeze had a definite and very welcome cool edge to it. Our fall tends to be long and pleasant, so I am looking forward to it.

I too am hoping for a long warm days kind of fall. We have had rain for 2 days which is so unusual this summer. The clouds look fall like and the temps are cooler than normal. Definitely feeling the shift. Glad you enjoyed the post and here’s looking forward to a nice fall in the garden.

5. Gesine says:

thanks for participating german bloom day!
    You flowers are beautiful! I have the same phlox like you, did you recognized it? I love it!
    And the robin is really sweet!
    Have a nice day!

Stunning ligularia, and your garlic looks magnificent too. The poem is perfect for this time of year. I am checking my chillies and tomatoes every day, willing them to get on and ripen before we are suddenly in mid September when the shorter days and cooler nights start to really count. Happy GBBD!

Janet, I will take any tomatoes and peppers I can get, but my arugula and radishes are quickly sprouting and growing with all the rain and still warm temps. I made sure to start my fall garden a bit earlier this year. The garlic was especially grand this year. Happy GBBD!!

Thx Diana. I had a couple of misses with it last year when it died after 2 tries. I was so happy that it took off this year and is still alive. I hope to find many more spots to plant it as it grows and matures.

7. skeeter says:

I love the color of the lily! Oh yes, you cannot go wrong with Rudbeckia in the garden. It amazes me how they thrive even with drought conditions. Your wildflowers are happy indeed. I spotted a few in the horse pasture across the street and they brought a twinkle to my eye while feeding my neighbors horse in this heat. Here in Georgia we still have a way yet for Fall to arrive but I am in no hurry as I do not like the winter months with my gardens sleeping, sigh…

Skeeter I am so happy you visited the garden today. Yes before you know it here we will be buttoning things up. i also do not like the winter…it is too long and I am too long away from my gardens…go glad you enjoyed the post. Stop back anytime…

8. Ellen says:

Donna, enjoying your musings on your August garden and I share your melancholy that summer is in its last days..I always wish I could hit the Pause button this time of year…

I like the photo of Prudence, what a cutie, and I don’t blame her for putting off as long as possible her foray into the big wide world!

Your new coreopsis looks a lot like the Route 66 Coreopsis I bought last week after seeing it look spectacular in a friend’s garden…the blotchy foliage is really striking.

Ellen how nice to have you visit the garden. Glad you enjoyed the post. Prud is forever in my heart. Rt 66 coreopsis is very similar to Redshift except for the shape of the petals. I have and love both…maybe we can have a bit of a Pause this fall for an extended Indian summer.

9. Tatyana says:

Hi Donna! I wouldn’t expect a deer to eat native phlox, but I see that I was wrong! I have some pale red phlox that was beheaded by deers in the very beginning of this summer. Only using ‘Liquid Fence’ spray helps me too keep those big creatures away. I like Redshift – such funny color!

Oh my deer love phlox. I have to use liquid fence too. Redshift is fun. I love the petals and how they are not uniform in shape. Glad you could visit the garden!!

10. andrea says:

I love the Donna and Donna talking above! I am more a photographer than a poet so i appreciate the photos more than the poems, but they are both great. Congratulations for your poem book publication! I am sure many poetic souls will be touched by them.

Andrea thank you for your wonderful sentiments. I am glad you like both and especially the photos. Donna lives about 3 hrs away and although we have so many similarities, we have lots of differences in our areas and gardens. We have never met but hope to someday.

11. Masha says:

I feel a little sad too that summer is almost over. Spring is still too far away…

Your vegetable harvest looks amazing, that garlic is perfect! I love the perennials too.

Thx Masha. Some of the veggies did well and some not but I will work on that. Yes to think of spring already is hard but I have so much to do to get ready and to work on over fall and winter…

12. Janet at Planticru Notes says:

It’s interesting that so many of your plants are native to where you are and therefore incomers here. I was surprised that your ligularias did so well in that heat. Did they have there toes somewhere boggy and are slugs not a problem? Maybe you’re lucky and the slugs just dry up when it’s warm!

Janet, I find it amazing when we share plants we love and grow, but some are native to me and not you or vice versa. The ligularia was protected by part shade and that area was very wet all spring. It did dry up from June to late July. I think the key was keeping it out of the full sun. This one finally flowered once we had some recent rain.Slugs are all over my garden but as it dried up they were less of a problem.

13. Liane says:

I want a veggie garden almost as much as I want to expand my flower garden. But i have had this thought lately, which probably is contradictory to share on a garden blog, that I really love to see, experience, wander through, sit in, marvel at, breathe in…gardens. My path is moving me in an ever adventurous direction and I almost feel about the garden like I do about saying no to a dog when the kids ask for one – it wouldn’t be fair since we don’t have the time to take care of it properly. I am wanting to untether from the things that require time to maintain and keep me from other things. I was almost sad about this since I so love gardens and flowers and have dreamed of what mine would be like. But I just want to be in it not do it. I want to wander through YOUR garden! :-).

You know you are welcome anytime. We can also put together a very easy care garden if ever you want. Veggies are like children and pets. They take lots of care although some are easy to do in containers. You have to make your decisions based on what you love to do and if travel and walk abouts are your true passion then perhaps a small pretty easy to care for garden would work…there may be a way to have both dreams 🙂