Light

“Do not anticipate trouble or worry about what may never happen.  Keep in the sunlight.” ~Benjamin Franklin

This Wednesday is another Word for Wednesday (W4W) with Donna@Garden Walk, Garden Talk, and the word for the week is ephemeral or fleeting; short-lived.  How absolutely perfect a word to describe fall in the Northeast United States (NE US) and the fall garden here.

In the blink of an eye it has come and gone. The fall of warm days and cool nights seems to be so short-lived…gone now.

Yarrow now fading

The nights are down right cold and freezing.  While the days may warm to 50, the wind is howling and the wet snow is flying.  This is our fall.  The traditional fall weather is definitely ephemeral.  All we have at this point in Autumn in my NE garden are memories.  You just have to look at the picture above to see a memory of what was a beautiful dahlia blooming away until the first freeze hit late last week.  It’s green stems turned black and its petals resembling paper or onion skin.

As a gardener in the NE US, many of our plants lives are now brief…those that survive will eventually fall to winter’s snow and cold to wait for warm spring to come again.  Pictured throughout are a few glimpses into my ephemeral garden…some gone, some almost gone.

This Japanese anemone is barely hanging on.  Still blooming in sheltered areas.

The pond is going into its slumber.  You can see blossoms of purple aster and orange mums in the background with white gaura still blooming in the foreground.  The pump has been removed and the frogs have gone under the mud for their long nap.

I am not kidding myself these days.  Our fall is going into its pre-winter phase where it looks and feels more like winter than fall.  The calendar says fall, but the weather is definitely winterish if not downright winter.  The clocks here will fall back an hour this coming weekend, and while I will now see the sunrise as I leave for work, I will be seeing dusk and dark when I drive home.

Cosmos no more

Within a few short weeks, I will be driving to and from work in the dark.  And during the daylight hours during fall, we see more gray days instead of sunshine.  This is the time of year I dread.  So much gray and darkness. We start to suffer withdrawals from the lack of sunlight…such an ephemeral thing now.  It can get downright depressing if we don’t make an effort to thwart these gray feelings.

Many people begin a long hibernation hiding indoors.  I for one am determined to not hide myself away this fall and winter.  I have been hiding away for a long time, and have just discovered my light.  So I don’t want to hide anymore or use weather as an excuse.  It’s easy to do; hiding.  We all do it at one time or another.  Hiding though is different than going inward for a time to heal or rest.  No this hiding is hard to reverse once you start.

“Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one’s own sunshine.”~Ralph Waldo Emerson

This quote from Emerson is so appropriate.  With sunshine being ephemeral for us now, I can’t afford to stand in the shadows.  And so as our dark days fall upon us, I am working on shining my light more to ensure it is not fleeting.  I will be writing more-details on that below.

Borage finally done

I will begin my experiment with indoor gardening growing greens and herbs.  I plan to work on furthering my education in the areas of design and gardening.  Lots of books to catch up on.  I will be revamping my business plan, and considering a new look for the blog.  And in the health arena, I plan on healthier eating and more exercise despite the darkness and weather.

I am determined this time of year to begin the subtle changes.  I recently saw a Ted Talks video on Beth@Plant Postings blog.  It gave me a boost to start a 30 Day Challenge.  I hope to do as many of these challenges as I can within the coming months.  I will be writing about the challenge in an upcoming post.

Announcing Gardens Eye Verse:

As a way to continue to creatively write, I have decided to add my own poems to some posts.  I do so love to write poetry.  It keeps my brain thinking, creating and playing with words.  I will highlight the original poems the first Monday of every month.  I hope to have others perhaps join in and post their own verses. There are some I know who already do post their own original poetry.  I haven’t decided if it will be any type of linking meme, but maybe.  To wet your whistle, here is a little poem I wrote recently while thinking about the coming of fall….

As October skies diminish their light,

Flower beds begin to pull their covers tight.

Bid farewell to Susan and Petunia hanging low-

As we greet Pansy and Rose still rising with the snow.

D. Donabella

Upcoming:

1.  I will have a new post at Beautiful Wildlife Gardens this coming Saturday (always the first Saturday of the month).  I will be blogging about my trip through the bog at Beaver Lake Nature Center.

2.  I will be doing a special post about the book, The Moment I Knew, in November.   This is part of the The Moment I Knew World Wide Blog Tour!  If you have had the chance to read the book, I would love to hear your feedback.

3.  Also as part of the The Moment I Knew World Wide Blog Tour, my friend and author, Marcia Richards, will be interviewing me for her blog, Marcia Richards’ Blog, around November 11th,   Marcia is an amazing writing who has a fantastic blog.

4.  I also plan to stop by and visit Helen@The Patient Gardener to link in to her End Of Month View.  It may well be my last month of having anything to view but I have been wanting to join in.

5.  I plan to join in to the Town Mouse and her First Views meme which happens the first week of the month.  It is where you show off long shots of your garden.  I only have my pond view for this post.  I hope to share more in the future.

As always, I’ll be joining Tootsie Time’s Fertilizer Friday.  So drop by to check out all the wonderful flowers this Friday.

You can now find my guest posts at Walkabout Chronicles at Walkabout Chronicle Friends.  My latest post is Wander.  I hope you enjoy it.

Thx Tina. Just a fun little poem…the nightly freezes I think are doing more damage than the wet snowflakes. We are in for a brief warm up this week to the 50s in the day and 40s at night.

1. Elephant's Eye says:

Challenging months ahead, will make interesting reading for us, and good writing for you. World blog tour sounds impressive – I have followed a few before, it is fascinating to hear a book reviewed by a succession of bloggers!

Diana you know me well. I am most creative I think when challenged. I am looking forward to the blog tour. This book is a wonderful tribute to women everywhere. Can’t wait to hear what others around the world think of the book.

Certainly no surprise that fall is here and gone. We are a bit luckier than those of you farther East. We did not get the snow and that must be some kind of record. Fall color this year was totally ephemeral. Your light is really shining on all that you have planned. Looking forward to your writing and enjoyed the poem you shared.

3. Diana says:

Donna, you write beautifully and I do love the poem. It takes effort to keep those creative juices going, and hooray for you in doing so.

Sorry about the snow already. We too have had an interesting year: winter to spring to what seemed like only several weeks of summer and then it began to rain, turned cold, winter upon us… fortunately the last several weeks have given us a bit of fall. I guess I’ll take what we get. 😉

Hope you have a terrific week.

Diana thx so much for your sweet comment…so glad you enjoy the blog and the poem…yes Mother Nature has been indecisive this year…we are having a bit of a warm spell into the 50s with sun…got to love it!!

Dear Donna: Shine your light! And thanks for the mention. I found that TED video several months back and was waiting for the best moment to share it with blogger friends. I love the idea of 30-day challenges (and 12-month challenges!). Beautiful poetry and images on this post! We’ll have to keep each other optimistic in the coming months!

Thx for the lift to my spirits…we will need to buoy each other for sure…my pleasure to give your wonderful blog a plug…I’ll keep you posted as I start my first challenge…so glad you enjoyed the post and poem…

I love your profound comments…so true that we must and will find hope in the garden’s renewal…it is a time of year for all of us to renew ourselves in so many ways which is why I am attempting some challenges to make a few changes…you will most likely enjoy one of them….

Hi Donna, good to know we are going to get to read more of your poems on your blog. I love this time of year, it always seems to speak about change and potential at the same time as it speaks about taking a break. I love the way so many plants disappear back below ground, challenging the belief that they will be back come Spring. Planting bulbs sums it up brilliantly, such unpromising little things to bury in a blanket of soil, but which bring such joy in the warmer weather that will follow the dark days of winter. Mind you, I have always really hated those days when you drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark, it becomes a real challenge to find time to walk about in the sunlight, assuming there is any.

Lovely thoughts about change and taking a break…so glad you enjoyed the poem…it will be a challenge to find the sunlight once winter sets in…but I will take what I can get…at least I have an office with lots of windows!!

6. Debbie/GardenofPossibilities says:

Donna, Your poems are a welcome addition to your blog. With al lthe crazy weather this season, it seems like the garden has been much more ephemeral than usual. It’s been difficult to have the usual continuity in my garden since Mother Nature seems to have her own plans this year and I’m just along for the ride.

How true Debbie. Mother Nature is now sending us warm days and cold nights with sun…I can stand it as I finish up a few more chores…so glad you enjoyed the poem and are looking forward to many more…

7. The Sage Butterfly says:

After all of the activity of spring, summer, and fall, I am often ready to ‘hibernate’ for a bit. However, I am sure after a month or so of that, I will be ready to become active again. Although we have weeks to go before fall is officially over, we, too, will soon begin to see winter before it actually begins. I hope the snow was not too much of a disaster…

We were lucky to avoid the snow except for a some wet snowflakes and freezing temps…we have a reprieve right now with sun and warm temps in the 50s. I could use a bit of hibernation as well after this very busy fall in the garden…

8. Grace says:

Beautiful poem, beautiful photos, Donna! I’m letting my brain ruminate on my post for the blog tour. Exciting times! I still have to finish the book though. I hope you have a few more nice days before winter takes away all warmth. But maybe it’s already too late. 🙂 I’ll have to check out Marcia’s blog. Have fun!

Thx grace…glad you enjoy the poem. I hope to Blog Tour on Monday in honor of my first Gardens Eye Verse Day..I still have to finish the book as well…we have a bit of a warm spell in the 50s so it isn’t too bad right now.

I couldn’t agree more. I could do with about one month of the really short days…then a gradual bringing on of the light…the dark with the snow is even worse though…here’s to a long fall…

9. Karin/Southern Meadows says:

Donna you are such an inspiration! I so enjoy reading your thought provoking and insightful posts. I think you have a very ambitious winter planned ahead which is wonderful because I know how the dark winters can creep up on you! When I lived in the Netherlands I suffered from SAD during the winter months when there is very little daylight. Enjoyed your poem and am looking forward to reading more of your work! xx!

Oh Karin how sweet of you to say so…I look to you as an inspiration in my wildlife gardening. So glad you enjoyed the poem. I want to be busy during these dark and cold days but I don’t want to be overwhelmed. I think I may have just enough to keep me busy…

10. TufaGirl says:

Lovely posting. Seasons are so fleeting. In the drudgery of the day to day we forget how fast the days go by. I understand the hibernating as I seemed to have done that myself this summer as it was so hot here. The one thing that keeps me going is the daylight and this time of year I really look forward to the sun each day.

How wonderful to have you visit the fall garden. I understand hibernating due to heat. I lived in AZ for a couple of years and the summers were too hot…light is one thing that really does sustain us though! So glad you enjoyed the post and stop back anytime!!

Oh Laura thank you…I plan to post about becoming a poet…it all started 40 yrs ago or maybe even earlier…there was a big pause though in my writing until recently…hope you stop back Monday to read more poems and learn the story.

Hi Donna, the flowers even with fading colors are still elegantly beautiful, just like a well-kept woman in her senior years! How about my analogy? LOL. It is truly beauty in old age. About your early winter, that means a short Fall? I hope it also means colder days in this part of the world, and not what we always hear as ‘the cold climates become colder, and the warm climates become warmer as the effects of climate change!

Andrea I loved your analogy…most people marvel at my age since I don’t look my 54 yrs. So I guess I am weel kept…:) Fall seems to be cooperating and giving us sunny warm days which I will relish…I hope the heat lets up a bit for you…

12. Carolyn @ Carolyn's Shade Gardens says:

I am finding all this talk of winter on many blogs kind of depressing. I guess it was triggered by the early snow storm. I even made some comment to my husband about winter being here. He looked at me like I was crazy and pointed out that it was 50 degrees and sunny out. Perhaps anticipating winter and talking about it prevents one from living in the moment which right now here in PA is fall (you of course are further along). I have never liked fall because it leads to winter, but I think a new approach is due and is healthier.

I hate a love-hate relationship with fall but am learning to live more in the moment of fall and all her beauty leading to slumber…I am trying to plan for the winter ahead so I am not so depressed with the cold, the dark and the snow…that was a rather nasty storm you folks had…I was glad it passed us by!! Here’s to enjoying the colors, smells and sounds of fall…

13. Cat says:

Donna, having a plan for the upcoming gray days will help you get through them successfully. It sounds as though you’ve got lots to keep you stimulated creatively and will have tons to share with us. I look forward to reading more of your poetry too!

Thx Cat. I have learned that without some plans for these days of fall/winter darkness, I slip into a funk…so glad you will be checking out the poems. I love to play around with poetry…

Thx Beth…the pond is our favorite area of the garden…it is a labor of love….I am hopeful that I can accomplish my plans….I tend to bite off a bit more than I can chew but this is a toned down list…it is usually a long winter of about 4 months so we shall see…

14. Veronica says:

Hi Donna. This is my first visit via Tootsie Time and I have to say reading your post how spoilt we are that we have such mild winters here. Loved your post and the links you mentioned. I have been searching for a place tho link my garden posts. Thank you

Veronica

Veronica you have a beautiful blog and one I will visit often. So glad you could visit. It is funny how different parts of the world experience winter all due to the position of the sun. So glad you enjoyed the post and hope you check out some of the links where I also post. Hope to see you again soon. I post every Monday and sometimes more than once a week. I usually link in to Tootsie Time every Friday. Donna

15. Karen says:

Loved your post on W4W and Ephemeral. I know just what you’re going through with the weather and now with the time change. Oh, it feels much too soon. But we will survive the winter, right?

We will indeed Karen. I just want to come out shining once winter is over so I have decided on a few projects to occupy my time when the snow is blowing and the wind is howling and the drifts are piling up. So glad you enjoyed the post!!

16. Liz says:

I feel exactly the same regarding the short days.
    And yet for the past year or two each time we change the clocks there’s more of this crap about not changing them and staying summertime. I’m sorry but I am so against this, it’s unreal. I hate getting up in the dark, and by not changing the clocks back again I have no option but to get up in the dark every morning from like October until March or something stupid. That’ll mean almost an entire half year in darkness in the mornings.
    And let’s face it; we evolved to get up when it’s light and sleep when it’s dark, so it’s very hard to get up in the mornings. Although yes I would love to have light when I get home; it’s far more important to have it in the mornings.

Oh Liz I would die if not for light especially in the AM. We will have dark mornings and nights for a while but at least once the winter solstice arrives the early morning light comes back. Now if we could go in to work with the morning light I would love it…although I have been seeing some spectacular sunrises as I drive east to work…it helps a bit…

• Liz says:

Yep, it’s the same here. As it is, it’ll only be dark in the morning from around December until late Jan/Feb and that I can cope with. Especially as generally over Christmas we all have holidays off work, school or whatever so it’s easy to miss most of the darkness.
        I always prefer to go into work early rather than late, so if it’s flexi then I do 8-4. But at the solstice then it’s dark until around 8:30/9 and getting up at 6:30 or 7 is a killer. But just imagine doing that for months on end?! And of course it’s worse the further north you go, so it’ll get light in Scotland at 10-11am. It’s a ridiculous idea which has been tried and failed previously so why even consider it?

Our clocks went back last weekend and before they did, I too saw a few amazing sunrises although it’s painful trying to drive as I drive into them. One particular morning it had been a clear night and it was close to frost. So in lower areas there was low clouds/mist that were glowing orange in the sunrise. I wish I’d had a camera or been able to stop to take photos.

Liz I have said the same thing…wish I had a camera with me or a place to stop to catch a picture without getting run over. Our clocks go back at 2 am tonight. We have dark mornings for about a couple months and then the clocks change again in early March. Back to dark mornings for a couple weeks only. I do hate darkness at night by 4:30….it makes for long nights of not wanting to do anything…hope my projects can keep me going…

17. joey says:

In awe reading this ambitious postand lovely poem, Donna … you are oozing with talent! Good luck in all your endeavors … it’s a joy connecting with you.

Oh Joey thank you so much for these sweet words…it is indeed an ambitious list but I think I am up for it. I do love connecting with you too Joey!! Stop by Monday for a few more poems…

18. Jennifer@threedogsinagarden says:

Hi Donna, November is my least favourite month of the year. The leaves are gone from the trees and the days seem short and grey. I think that you have great ideas on how to keep your spirits up. Books always make me feel renewed and inspired. I also agree that exercise is key to keeping to banishing the blues. I look forward to seeing your new blog’s design in the near future.

19. Christine says:

Hi Donna
    A lovely post – firstly, let me say even without the frogs, pump and all the plants, your pond is lovely, all natural looking right now, pretty as a picture.
    Your poetry is lovely, I hope others post theirs too and I look forward to reading more of yours. I loved your poem in the book, I’ve reread it a number of times because it is so relevant to me right now. Looking forward to reading about the book tour.

Christine I have missed you and have been thinking of you often. So glad you like the pond…it is a lovely setting even with snow. I was hoping you had received the book and was wondering what you thought. I wasn’t sure how you would feel about the poems since they were so relevant. Every time I read those poems I grieve again. I also found it very therapeutic writing those poems. Can’t wait to share more with you. You are in my thoughts and I wish you peace!!

20. Stacy says:

Donna, it’s wonderful the way you’re planning to turn winter to good use. I lived in Florida for a while 20 years or so ago, and many people I knew talked about finding it hard to accomplish things or make big life changes, because it was hard to remember that life wasn’t one big endless vacation. There’s something positive about having to buckle down to cope with a season–even if the season isn’t the positive thing… I’ll be cheering you on in your efforts–I remember all too well what a northeastern winter is like.

P.S. For some reason a Bobby McFerrin tune from the 80’s just popped into my head: “I’m My Own Walkman.” You’re your own sunshine…