I am participating this month in the world wide blog tour to celebrate the publication of  The Moment I Knew. For my post as part of this blog tour, I thought I would reflect on why I wrote the poetry I submitted for publication.  Then I wish to share some more poetry with you as I launch the frist Gardens Eye Verse.  Read on to learn more about it.

“Sometimes you’ve got to jump off cliffs and grow wings on the way down.”– Ray Bradbury

Truth be told this is how I actually came to write again.  I just sort of jumped in and went with it.  Writing, especially poetry, for me was always a love from middle school through high school.  It was an outlet; a way to express myself.  But I had forgotten that part of me.  It had been buried deep beneath layers of self doubt.  About a year ago, a high school friend, Kat, posted on Facebook that she had entered some writing to be considered by a group, Reflections From Women, in their new book, The Moment I Knew.  I was intrigued and checked out the website.  I had just started writing my blog in September of last year so I was still feeling daring.  I decided to inquire about entering some poetry and the rest, as they say, is history.

Actually about a week or 2 earlier I had found an anthology of poems project I had done in 9th grade.  It was a huge project that required us to choose our favorite poems, write poems, and put them together in a special presentation with pictures and original art work.  It was a big deal and I remember throwing my whole self into it.  I stayed up late many nights writing and re-writing poems.  Remember this was 1972.  No computers, so everything was hand written, pictures were cut from magazines and pasted in.

Pearly Everlasting frosted

Finding this anthology was a reawakening.  I poured over the pages reading favorite poetry I had long forgotten.  As I read my own poetry, I was taken back to that time.  Back to why I had written these poems; what they were expressing for me.  It was a rare glimpse back to the young girl I was, and the young woman I was becoming.

In between blank pages at the back of the book, I found some hand written poems that had not been used in the project.  As I read the poems, the emotions came flooding back.  You see 1972 had been a difficult year for me.  We had our first dog, Bruiser, who died suddenly from a disease he could not fight just a few short months into his life.  A special woman who I had become close to, while babysitting for her for a couple of years, suddenly lost her life in a tragic accident.  The topper was the sudden death of my grandfather right around my birthday.  I was completely devastated.  I must have written a few poems to help me through those feelings of grief and pain.

To find them just about the time I was exploring the idea of submitting some work, was one of those rare moments that was meant to be especially given the fact that the theme of the submission was, The Moment I Knew.  I knew at that point I had to submit the one I had written about the death of my grandfather.  It is called, Grief.  It recounts how I felt the day of his burial in Florida.  For me, this was the first death of a close family member.

The second poem, The Pain of Death, was a slight rewrite of one of the found poems.  It was written telling of my feelings on the day of my dad’s funeral.  These poems were written 40 years ago, but were as real and as true for me as today.  They were the moment I really knew grief in all its raw pain.  I had experienced that pain 40 years ago and captured it then and now.

I have written a few posts about death and grief:  DeathMy Hero, My Dad and Grief.  The editor of The Moment I Knew, Terri  Nelson, told me my writing was healing.  I hope that is truly the case and that you do find some healing, as I do, from my words.  My life has changed in so many ways since submitting those poems.  It has taken that self doubt away.  Some of the layers are still there, but I am feeling the weight of them lessen.  This book is an amazing collection of essays and poems about those unforgettable times in the lives of women from all over the world.  I encourage you to read it.  You will not be disappointed.

In the spirit of supporting and empowering women, Sugati Publications donates a percentage of all profits from the Reflections from Women books to non-profit agencies providing assistance to women and girls.  The charities that will benefit from The Moment I Knew include:  Women’s Microfinance Initiative, The Nurse-Family Partnership Program, and Women Writing for (a) Change.  Sugati comes from the ancient Pali language and refers to a ‘happy destination.’

Additional information:

Editor:  Terri Spahr Nelson

Publisher:  Sugati Publications

Publication date:  8.26.11 List:  $14.95

Be sure to stop by my friend Marcia Richards’ blog on Friday the 11th as she interviews me as part of the world-blog tour.  Marcia is an amazing author who has a fantastic blog.  Oh and I am giving away one of the free copies of the book I have to a randomly drawn commenter.

GARDENS EYE VERSE

In honor of Garden Bloggers Muse Day, which is the first of each month, I invite you to come into my garden to share some pictures and personal prose the first Monday of the month.  I thought it would be a good exercise to write nature inspired poems and share them.  As you will discover I love writing all types of poetry.  Not sure how this will pan out, but I hope it keeps the creative juices flowing.

There are many creative poets who blog as well, and I enjoy reading their blogs and poems.  I hope to give them a shout out here, and invite you to join me by posting your personal prose.  I am not sure if I want to have this be a linked in type of meme, but we can see how it goes.  I have included two fall-themed poems for this first Gardens Eye Verse.  I hope you enjoy them.  As always I welcome your comments.  Please remember, to comment click on the title of the post and the page will reload with the comments section.

The Meadow

The Meadow is tired it’s time to go-

Back to the slumber under the snow.

Summer’s party is through, the bright confetti fading fast-

The birds and the bees knew it wouldn’t last.

The last of the revelers are turning to go-

We’ll see you again when the sun warms the snow.

Adieu

As we begin our walk through autumn paths

take time to sit and watch the leaves turn;

hear them gently touch the ground in a whisper…adieu

As always, I’ll be joining Tootsie Time’s Fertilizer Friday.  So drop by to check out all the wonderful flowers this Friday.

Also my latest post, A Trip to a Bog, is up at Beautiful Wildlife Gardening.  I hope you enjoy it.

1. tina says:

Congrats on your submission and I have no doubt your writing is very healing. I can relate to you finding the book of poems and going back to all of those emotions. It is these small things that make life so very real and dear and your writing relative to your readers.

Tina how sweet of you to say so. That book of poems was one of the only things I saved from high school. It was so important to me then and little did I know how important it would become…it literally saved me…

Enjoy your work, looking forward to more. I am not very schooled in poetry but like to make rhymes. I never really understood the sophisticated works, but appreciate the artistry in words. There are so many styles of poetry and it really does take study in it it to do it well. That and dedication and heartfelt emotion.

Donna I would bet there are some fun verses lurking inside you…playing with the words and rhymes is the fun part for me…getting your message or emotions across using these few words is the essence of a poem…I really only studied poetry in school and took what I could from those lessons…glad you enjoyed the work…

3. Cat says:

Donna, your words are definitely healing and soothe the spirit. It sounds as though your inner voice has remained strong and steady and risen above the self doubt. That is quite a testimony!

Finding poetry again has allowed my inner voice even more of an outlet…so glad you enjoy the poems and find them healing Cat!! Much like I find your photos healing…

Alistair, what a wonderful father you are….I think people are intimidated by poetry. I love free verse because you don’t have to rhyme, you just let the feelings out; humor, pain, nature, whatever. I don’t use big words (as I call them) in my poetry either….higher level vocabulary was never my thing…of course Donna@Garden Walk, Garden Talk is certainly raising my vocabulary with her Word 4 Wednesday meme…

So glad you enjoyed it Carolyn. It was a bit daunting at first to see that I had lost that part of me…but what a rebirth it has been to find it again…I so enjoy your prose as well…it is very uplifting and keeps me grounded.

Grace I hope we get to meet in person someday soon. Your support and cheerleading means so much…I must say though your essay is incredible and you know I love, love, love it..writing is definitely healing as you know!!!

4. Christine says:

Hi Donna, your poems in the book (which was waiting for me when I got back from the USA) are beautiful and helped me at a time I needed it. You are multiple- talented, and I look forward to reading lots more of your work. Perhaps a publishing deal for your very own book is in your future. I for sure would buy it.

Oh Christine wouldn’t that be great to get a book deal…I can always wish…how incredible to have the book come when you returned at a time you needed it most…you know exactly how I felt and I am so glad it helped…and thank you for buying the book…it will help so many women around the world!!

Marcia I am so glad to hear you liked the poems…I am very excited about the interview post on your blog Friday…you are a wonderful friend to do this!!

5. Debbie/GardenofPossibilities says:

Donna, Your poems are beautiful. What a wonderful gift to have re-discovered your childhood poetry and found that it has stood the test of time. The only poem I think I ever really wrote that wasn’t a school assignment was, like you, written as a teen after my father’s death. I haven’t seen the poem in years but I do remember how much it helped my clarify my feelings at that time.

Wow, that is wonderful, Donna! Your poetry is beautiful, and I always enjoy your writing. I find it inspiring–especially the personal reflection posts with all your lovely photos. Congratulations!

Beth I am so glad you do enjoy my poetry and reflective writing…it encourages me to keep going with it. Thx for all your kind words and support!!

7. Stacy says:

Donna, I’m so glad for you that you’ve rediscovered this hidden part of yourself. We seem to put so many practical layers between ourselves and our passions as we get older–necessary in lots of ways, but at a price, too. At least for me, it’s too easy to forget what really sets me alight. If we all revisited our high school loves now and then we might remember all kinds of important things! I enjoyed the Adieu poem–the hush of listening to leaves touch down in farewell. Best wishes on your “world tour”!

Thx Stacy and I think you are right…we can all forget easily what were our passions…revisiting those high school ones has been a joy….Adieu is one of my favs as well…the opening line came to me one morning as I was waking…

Great, it is a privilege for your childhood poems be published while you are still alive, others have them posthumously. Congratulations. And your photos going with the poems are very beautiful and apt for them, very inspiring. I love most especially the path to the unknown!

Thx Andrea. so glad you enjoyed the post, poems and pics. The path picture was taken at a bog that is part of our Nature Center nearby. Fascinating place that I blogged about for Beautiful Wildlife Gardens.

9. Libby says:

Hi Donna! I really appreciate you popping over to comment on my new blog. Thanks! I’m glad you’ve rediscovered writing too. Long may it continue 🙂

10. Sheila says:

It’s inspiring to hear that you’ve found your voice and have been able to let go of self-doubts that were holding you back. I share that struggle. I’m still working on letting myself be heard. Your story gives me hope.

Sheila I am so happy that my words can give you hope…know that the self doubt creeps in every so often as it will be a struggle to quiet those voices totally…know that your voice is strong and it is being heard…

11. Laura @ PatioPatch says:

You sound so liberated Donna, having found your way with words again. Reading about how death and loss was the spark confirms something in an article I’ve just read:
    “Poetry gives voice to the things we cannot describe. And it gives meaning to that which we cannot explain.”

Laura I googled the article and wow it is so true…I could not have said it better…sometimes the only way to voice those deeper emotions are through a few well chosen words that reach into our soul.

12. Patricia Sands says:

Hello Donna – I met you on Marcia Richards’ wonderful blog. Thanks for sharing all of your information there. Everything was so interesting and worthwhile to know about … gotta dash back to click on the rest of the links! Lovely to know you.

13. k koegel says:

Donna. I have a poem published in the library of Congress. Titled My Love for you is like a Dove. Bet you never knew that. Very nice web page.