True Blue Loyal Blooms

Colors are the smiles of nature. ~Leigh Hunt

The Old Farmer’s Almanac calendar had this recent saying, “When OAK TREES bend with snow in January GOOD CROPS may be expected.”  With all the warm weather we have been having, I would expect that most trees are bending easily. I am hopeful that our spring will be warm and long and my veg garden will be started early and be fruitful.  But as we know here in Central NY, if we have a mild start to the winter, it may be prolonged into April.  But I am not thinking about that since we have had some snow in January, and I expect more here just not the average 100 inches.

As I look around the garden blogging world, I see so many gardens with something blooming.  Not so here.  January always reminds me of blue.  The snows appears blue; my feelings are blue from being cast into darkness for 2 months now and wanting to believe it will be drier, warmer, sunnier soon.  Yes this is my time to lament the winter (OK I’m whining)…we call it the winter blues!

So what better color to explore at this time of the year than blue!  There is nothing more stunning to me than a blue flower.  I know technically some of these blues appear in the purple color range, but they also have lots of blue in them.  And while blue is not the most prolific color in the garden, it is the most loved (or favorite) color.

What

The word blue comes from the Old French word bleu, blo meaning pale, discolored.  Blue is considered one of the additive primary colors; its complementary color is orange.  More people claim blue as their “favorite color.”

Blue is a cool color and the color of the sky, ocean and night. It is associated with depth and stability.  Blue is regarded as a more masculine color.  It has been shown to cause the body to produce chemicals that are calming which slows human metabolism.

Various Meanings

*Blue is said to symbolize trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, freedom, strength and new beginnings.

*Because blue is a calming color it is a great color to use in the home in and especially for babies.

*Blue can help you sleep and is a good color for bedrooms (the reason I painted my bedroom blue).

*Blue skies are said to be a symbol of optimism and better opportunities.

*Blue gives a feeling of distance, and artists use it to show perspective.

*Feeling blue or getting the blues is associated with sadness or depression, and comes from blue being related to rain or storms.

History

In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity.

The ancient Egyptians used the blue gem, lapis lazuli, to represent heaven.

In many cultures blue is important in religion; it is said to bring peace, or keep the bad spirits away.

Fun Facts

Blue is used to promote products and services related to clean/cleaning, airlines, and bottled water.

It is said to you should avoid using blue to promote food and cooking, because blue suppresses the appetite (I have blue kitchen-maybe it will help me lose weight).

Blue symbolizes importance and confidence, and this meaning is the reason behind the blue power suit and blue police uniforms.

In Iran, blue is the color of mourning.

In the US the something blue bridal tradition represents love.

A light blue car means that you’re calm and quiet.  A dark blue car means you are credible, confident, dependable (I am).

Blue denim is the most common clothing material in the western world.

Blue is used in national flags and symbols around the world, including the flag of the United Nations.

Hues

Light blue is associated with health, healing, tranquility, and softness.
Dark blue represents knowledge, power, integrity, seriousness, depth, and stability.

Turquoise is the symbol of youth, has a soothing effect, is associated with communication, protection, health, confidence and strength.

Aqua is the color of high ideals.

Blue Blooms in the Garden

Over the last several years,  the Perennial Plant Association has chosen a “blue”  Plant of the Year (Brunnera Jack Frost, Amsonia, Baptisia, Geranium Roxanne, Nepeta Walker’s Low).  Of course these plants are considered blue in the plant world.

Most of these are really more purple except Amsonia and Brunnera Jack Frost which is the 2012 Perennial Plant of the Year.  There is even a the new rose cultivar Applause (considered a blue rose) — which is more like a light lilac purple than blue.

Blueness doth express trueness.  ~Ben Jonson

And The Winner Is….

Two  Three wonderful people have nominated me for the Versatile Blogging Award.  This award is making the rounds giving the nod to many excellent blogs.

The rules:

• Thank the award-giver and link back to them in your post.

So thank you Cathy@Words and Herbs a wonderful new blog I have discovered.  Cathy is an English trainer originally from the UK now living in Bavaria whose passions are books, plants and vegetarian cooking.

and

Thank you Beth@PlantPostings from Wisconsin who is an incredible blogger, photographer and wonderful gardener for more than 25 years.

and

Thank you Sheila@Green Place from Chapel Hill, NC who gardens and loves to take long nature walks, write, photograph, meditate and seek God. Communicating about spirituality and the natural world is her passion.

•  Share 7 things about yourself.

1. I love to read especially mysteries.  I started with Nancy Drew when I was in third grade.

2. I  hate hot humid weather for any length of time.  Give me the seasons.

3. I love to watch British mysteries…obsessed with them (sensing a theme here)

4. I am not fond of heights…OK afraid of them.. even climbing down from bleachers or from a step stool is an ordeal.

5.  I am a comedy junkie from commercials to stand up to sitcoms.

6. I love to cook given time and prefer to cook without a recipe or create my own recipes from ingredients I have on hand.

7. I love to travel and explore history wherever I go.  I hope to travel more when I retire and visit many places in the States and throughout Europe to start.

• In the post, include this set of rules.
  • Forward this award to 15 fellow bloggers, and inform them with a comment on each of their blogs.

There are so many incredible blogs/bloggers out there and many have already been tapped for this award.  So I hope I have included a few more here who are deserving to be mentioned.  Please explore each of them; you will not be sorry. So here are my Versatile Bloggers:

1.  Plants and Stones

10.  Red Garden Clogs

11.  Gwirrel’s Garden

12.  In the Garden

13.  island threads

14.  Patio Patch

15.  Pam’s English Cottage Garden

Next Up on the Blog:   Wednesday will be my Garden Month in Review.  Monday I will be taking a break from the Exploring Color posts.  It will be the first Monday in February which means another Gardens Eye Verse, and some new poetry inspired by the garden.  Next Friday I will also have my February pick for my signature flower for Diana@Elephants Eye meme, and what I call Simply The Best.

My latest post for Beautiful Wildlife Garden will be up on Thursday so I hope you join me as I talk about some of our feathered friends.  I will return in later February to explore more color as we look at my white garden and some purple blooms.

I am joining Katarina@Roses and Stuff for her Blooming Friday meme.  This week is New Acquaintance.   Many of these lovely blue blooms are found in my early spring garden.  Every spring seeing these lovely blues is like meeting new friends as they multiply and grow against an equally blue sky.  As always, I’ll be joining Tootsie Time’s Fertilizer Friday.  So drop by to check out all the blooms this Friday.

What beautiful blue blooms! I think blue is the color most gardeners love to add to their gardens because it goes so well with all the other blooms. A little contrast to make things pop. You have a lot of blue blooms – I need to add a few more to my garden. Thanks for the nomination and congratulations to you on the award.

Thx Holley. My site was down all day yesterday and I just finished the post with the award while I am home sick…so I was unable to let you know…glad it was a wonderful surprise…so deserved. Hope one day we can meet in person and I can see your amazing roses in person.

I bet you knew your blue post would be my favorite. I always look for blues to add to the garden. True blue is the most allusive color in nature, I think. Your mosaics are stunning in blue. Congrats on the award, you are very deserving. You made some fine choices in your list. It is nice to see recognition from friends and I have recognized a few that have gotten the award previously, but do see two I did not know.

Thx Donna. I had an idea it would be your fav…the blues do stand out and make a stunning impact in the garden…when I find a wonderful blue such as borage or brunnera, I am mesmerized. I can take hundreds of pictures just of the flowers…

3. tina says:

Why thank you so much for nominating me for the Versatile Blogger Award. I’m very honored. I too enjoy talking with you and all of your posts. Blue is such a lovely color. I’m working on a garden by my pond that will be predominantly blue and I tell you I’m having an awful hard time sticking to the color theme but am determined! I can’t imagine a blue kitchen but I should try it if it helps me to lose weight too! Have a great day. It looks to be a wonderful one here.

The kitchen is more of a grey blue and is doing nothing to stop my eating 🙂 I cannot wait until I see your blue blooming pond…what a great color theme.

Donna, last week I was so red, today I am totally blue, in a good way though. Thank you so very much for the nomination. I limit my online activities now and if I don’t follow through with the process I think you will understand, I will always be keen at times to find reason to link your amazing blog.

You know I understand…just wanted to give you a nod and express my admiration. So glad you enjoyed the blues…I have been full out writing 2 and three posts a week. I will have to calm it down soon as I think that is one reason I have caught a virus. Soon my time will be spent gardening which always lifts my spirits if they are blue or quells my anger if I see red. 🙂

What a lot in one post Donna! I llove the intensity of the blues in your images. I love the blue of a sunny cold day in winter, somehow very different from the blue of a hot summer’s day. Christina

6. Julie @ Wife Mother Gardener says:

Thanks Donna! I am honored to be on your Versatile Blogger list. There are so many wonderfully garden bloggers that are a pleasure to read and learn from!

I am also a huge fan of blue; it is everywhere in my plantings. I am most excited about my new Muscari ‘Ocean Magic’ in my curb strip this year. More blue!

Julie you are correct about so many wonderful blogs and bloggers. I love the blues in your gardens and get absolutely giddy when I see Ocean Magic pop up. It is amazing. Can’t wait to see yours blooming.

7. Aimee says:

Such gorgeous photo collections of your blue flowers, Donna! I especially love the irises and the little grape hyacinths.

Blue is probably my 2nd favorite color next to red. I definitely find it very restful in the home and very alluring in the garden. I realized last summer that most of the flowers I planted were blue! I love the coolness of them and their contrast with green foliage.

Thanks for including me on your Versatile Blogger list! I’m honored and humbled. I have learned so much from so many wonderful garden bloggers this past year, and this is a great way to thank and recognize people. Thank you!

By the way – I am also scared of heights. VERY scared. I can’t even stand to watch a MOVIE where someone is looking out a window – hahaha!

Aimee I can’t watch those scenes in movies either..how funny…you are very welcome..I have been learning lts from many new bloggers or blogs new to me…can;t wait to see my early blue flowers…48 more days till spring..

hello Donna, love your wonderful collages of blue, I love blue with mauve/purples running a close secound, I find all the blue info interesting, I have pale blue walls in my kitchen but I still eat, eat, eat, perhaps because I don’t actually eat in the kitchen,

thanks for the blogger award, much appreciated, see I’m in good company too, there are a couple of blogs I don’t know so will check them later in the week, I love comedies and guess I could be called a junkie too,
    wishing you lots of travel when you finish work, Frances

You are so welcome…much deserved..you have inspired me to move out of my gardening shell and do a few experiments that I found found fascinating and fun….

9. Becky says:

Donna, Thanks for the Versatile Blogger award. Coming from you it means a lot. Blue flowers , blue birds, blue skies all chase away the moody blues. Just thinking about all that beauty makes me smile! All in all it’s a cheery post even if Blue Monday has you singing the blues.

You are so welcome Becky…and oh how you can certainly chase the blues away. How much snow did you get? Any with the latest storms…2 feet here but we are warming up again…

It was 56 here today and we have less than a foot left…50 tomorrow so i anticipate it will all melt again and flood my yard…I am hoping for a warmer Feb so I can get out there in later Feb…did you check out the latest USDA Hardiness Zone map….our zone moved up from 5a to 5b.

10. igardendaily says:

Hi Donna! Congrats on your nominations for the Versatile Blogging Award. I love how your write and how much of yourself you put into your posts. Blue is my absolute favorite color of flower. Last week, I know I said Orange is a big favorite but Blue, real Blue is my all time favorite. I have big Salvias ‘Black and Blue’ that I dig and store in my garage every winter (not hardy in Z6) so that I will have them in the garden each year. Also, I am planning to get several of the Brunnera Jack Frost this year for my new semi-shade garden. Thanks for the reminder of the beautiful blue flora!

Thx Andrea…so glad you enjoy the blog and posts….how wonderful to have orange and blue as your favorites since they complement each other. I have several different Brunnera and love the spring blues…you really do love blues to dig those salvias every year….but they are a stunner…

11. GirlSprout says:

Your blue mosaics are beautiful. I wish I had a few more blues in my garden. I’m a mystery lover, too. I think it was watching Perry Mason reruns with my Mom in B & W that got me started.

Thanks for the nomination! It was wonderful Monday morning surprise.

12. Bumble Lush says:

I love the collage of blue flowers. Blue is a garden favorite for me, although it’s not my favorite color. I have a dark blue car, and I like what that says about me. Congrats on the award!

13. Alberto says:

Hi Donna, you know how much I appreciate your posts on colours. I am here to thank you for the award too, it has been a kind of a cold shower though. I don’t think I’m going to do participate anyway I hope you won’t mind.

I never mind about such things Alberto…I wanted you to know that I love your blog and I want folks to get to know you and this award is a great way to recognize so many. I feel all the bloggers I read are Versatile Bloggers and I proudly display their blogs on my sidebar although I need to add a few more that I have come to know. So glad you are still enjoying the color posts!

Thx Grace…so glad you enjoyed it. And thx for the link. I will see if I can get something together to mail by Friday. Hugs to you my dear friend!! 🙂

14. Janet at Planticru Notes says:

Donna, the blue collages are stunning. It’s not a colour we have a lot of in our garden. Fascinating, informative post.

Hey Donna: I’m with you on #s 4, 5, and 7! Oh, and yes I agree this is the time of year for winter blues. But not as bad as most years with temps in the 50s in January! Thanks for your kind comments, and you are so deserving of the Versatile Blogger Award! Cheers!

Hugs to you Beth for those sweet words. Agreed with winter but now I want to get out sooner and see some things growing…never satisfied I guess… 🙂

16. Laura@PatioPatch says:

Dear Donna – You’ve captured so many hues of blue that it’s like swimming underwater (an analogy here as I hate to do that in reality). like the way you do a whats coming next at the end of your posts. Might just steal your idea 🙂
    p.s. Thank you for the award and though I politely decline am honoured for the nomination.
    p.p.s you seem to find the best and most apt of one liners that you should be nominated quote queen.

Oh Laura thank you..so glad you enjoyed the post and quotes…I spend time finding just the right ones that inspire. Steal away and I completely understand about the nomination…I still was glad to showcase you and your blog….

Hi Donna, I want to live in a temperate climate if only for the blue flowers. Blues and violets are my favorites so when i saw blues in cold climes i felt like we in the tropics are so deprived. We have very few blues in hot climes, one of which is the plumbago and i can’t anymore think of another. Ah yes the blue vanda orchid! I envy all your blue blooms, those bulbs, oh how i wish i can have some. Those collage are so lovely too. Congratulations for your award, but i HOPE i wont receive any because i can’t return the favor. LOL.

Andrea you certainly are a Versatile Blogger yourself. I absolutely af=dore my blue flowers especially in spring…wish I could send some your way…

18. Jean says:

Donna, Congratulations on your Versatile Blogger award. You and I have a lot in common (besides teaching and talking with our hands); I too am a murder mystery addict and afraid of heights. (Alas, I don’t have your skill for cooking without recipes.)

19. Pam's English Garden says:

Dear Donna, I’m sorry I’ve taken so long to comment on this wonderful posting — I especially love your ‘blues’. Thank you so much for passing on the award to me. It is great learning more about you. We certainly have much in common, especially the fear of heights, and the love of mysteries — books and TV. Thanks again. P. x