Fresh Green Natives

“Green is the prime color of the world, and that from which its loveliness arises.” ~Pedro Calderon de la Barca

So here we are, the last color post for this year.  And we saved the best for last, green.  I do so love all shades of green.  I have several rooms painted green in my house.  I think I love green because I love spring and nature.  Green is said to be very healing as well as balancing.

I have been growing lettuces and herbs all winter, but switched a few weeks back to annuals:  violas, pansies, torenia, petunias and alyssum.

pansies

Marigolds, geraniums, herbs and later veggies will soon be sown as well.  I also planted my cool season veggies outside last weekend.  Peas, pole beans, radishes, lettuce, arugula, spinach, collards, endive, onions, beets, carrots, parsley, cilantro and chervil are tucked in with the garlic that is already 6-8 inches high.  It has been downright hot here, but that will change this week with cooler and cold temps with a hard freeze predicted.  I am worried about my lilacs and other plants flowering or budding.  My veggies are protected under cover and like the cold.

I thought what better way to celebrate and explore green than to show off many of my native greens for Wildflower Wednesday with Gail at Clay and Limestone.  This year Bloodroot and hepatica are blooming while Virginia bluebells and one trillium are leafing out.  I will also be linking in with Christina@Creating my own garden of the Hesperides for Garden Bloggers Foliage Day (albeit a bit late).

Green Wildflowers

What

The word green is related to the Old English verb growan, “to grow”.

The human eye can see more shades of green than any other color.  Because our eyes are most sensitive to green, it is the color used for night vision goggles.

Green is second only to blue as a favorite color.

Green is not a primary color, but it is considered one of the additive primary colors. It is a mix of blue and yellow.  The complementary color to green is be red.

It is a mix of yellow and blue. Blue exudes calm and peace, while yellow radiates liveliness and high levels of energy. As a marriage between these two very different colors, green is a unifier of opposites, offering both the excitement of yellow and the tranquility of blue

Green is the color of nature. Green is said to have great healing power.

Various Meanings

Green Critters

Green symbolizes growth, harmony, freshness, peace, ecology and fertility. Green suggests safety, stability and endurance. Green is said to help alleviate depression and anxiety.

Green is closely associated with spring and summer which is why it is a symbol for birth and growth.

It is the most restful color for the human eye, and it can improve vision.

Green can also describe someone who is inexperienced, jealous, or sick.

In the United States, green is slang for money.

History

In heraldry, green indicates growth and hope.

In Ireland, green represents the green hills, and the patron saint, St. Patrick.

In Japan, green is the color of eternal life.

In Aztec culture, green was considered to be a royal color.

In China, jade represent virtue and beauty.

In Scotland, people used to wear green as a mark of honor.

Fun Facts

Green Grasses, Ferns, Shrubs

Use green when advertising drugs and medical items because of its association with safety. It is also great for promoting ‘green’ products.

Emeralds are colored green because of their chromium content.

Animals such as frogs, lizards, and other reptiles and amphibians, fish, insects, and birds, appear green because of layers of blue and green coloring on their skin.

Most of the green found in nature comes from chlorophyll.

Green was the favorite color of George Washington, the first President of the United States.

A green thumb (in the US) or green fingers (in the UK) means a great ability to make plants grow.

The message you send by driving a dark green car that is that you are traditional, trustworthy and well-balanced.

If you drive a bright yellow-green car you are trendy, whimsical and lively.

Green is one of the cooler colors in landscape design and it creates a

1st trillium in 2012

soothing feel to the garden.

Green plants visually recede into the background  helping to make a small space appear larger.

Green’s complimentary color in the garden is red; red flowers stand out wonderfully against green.

Hues

Dark green is associated with ambition, greed, and jealousy.
Yellow-green can indicate sickness, cowardice, discord, and jealousy.

Dull, darker green is commonly associated with money, the financial world, banking, and Wall Street.
Aqua is associated with emotional healing and protection.
Olive green is the traditional color of peace.

Virginia Bluebells starting

“The grass is not, in fact, always greener on the other side of the fence. Fences have nothing to do with it. The grass is greenest where it is watered. When crossing over fences carry water with you and tend the grass wherever you may be.” ~Robert Fulghum

I hope you enjoyed Exploring Colors.  You can read the other color posts here:

Orange          Red             Blue

White            Purple          Yellow

_____________________________________________________________________________

Next up on the blog:
  Wednesday will be my  Word 4 Wednesday post as I join with Donna@Garden Walk Garden Talk.  I’ll be updating my garden with Gardens Eye Verse on April 2nd.  I am moving my Simply the Best series, that ties in with Diana@Elephant’s Eye, to the fourth Wednesday of the month to coincide with Wildflower Wednesday.  As the season comes into bloom quickly and the veg garden must be planted, I am reducing my posts to 4 or 5 a month.

As always, I’ll be joining Tootsie Time’s Fertilizer Friday.  So drop by to check out all the blooms this Friday.  Linking in with Michelle@Rambling Woods for her Nature Notes meme.  It is a great way to see what is happening in nature around the world every Wednesday.

I hope you will join me for my weekly posts, every Tuesday, at Beautiful Wildlife Garden.  Tomorrow I am posting about a surprise visitor.

Thanks for linking to GBFD, you have some great foliage at the moment. Spring is GREEN or almost yellow-green as new foliage emerges. It is all happening so quickly! Christina

Love my Kermits. There seems to be one in the pond but he is remaining aloof at the moment…He probably wishes he was still hibernating with the cold temps .

Mary how very nice of you to say so…if you want any specifics on plants you see let me know…I hope my natives survive the cold snap we are having…some came out too early.

Thanks for sharing that quote about watering the grass … Unfortunately we have a drought in the UK and there’s a hose-pipe ban starting from next month in my area.

3. Crystal says:

I avoided green for many years because it was the colour of my school uniform. But that was long ago, and these days I see green in a very different light. I love the bright green of spring, and green is the backdrop to all our flowering plants, well most of them anyway.

Crystal so nice of you to visit…glad you enjoyed the Green post and that you have come to love green again most of the time!!

Oh, I do love green! Didn’t know emeralds had chromium in them. Wish I had one! I didn’t realize you were expecting a hard freeze. I so hope it doesn’t hurt any of the plants. It’s been so warm, it’s hard to imagine having a killing freeze now.

Emeralds are my birth stone and I have very small ones for earrings…I will lose flowers due to the hard freeze…most worried about the lilacs that are hard to cover…wind is whipping and 30s right now…down to 18 they say…ouch!

5. Janet, The Queen of Seaford says:

I was just outside putting scraps into the composting bins and enjoyed taking in all the green and white. Seems like many of my white blooms are opening now. I do think green is peaceful and calming.
    Very interesting post. You certainly are involved in a lot of memes. I have a hard time getting to GBBD regularly or Wildflower Wednesday. Oh well.
    BTW- your score is out of this world on FB Bejeweled B.

Thx Janet… my spring slowed down with this cold snap…green is lovely…I love being involved in many memes and meeting new people through them…it does take a lot of organization…I love to play Bejeweled…

6. Indie says:

I always associate green with my mother, as it’s her favorite color. She decorates with a lot of greens and browns – sometimes it feels delightfully like going to a woodland forest in her house! Green is also peaceful like my mother is.

Catherine it is amazing to finally see all the different greens…soon they will be dwarfed by the colors that appear and we lose the greens to the background…

7. Alberto says:

I think my weeds are greener than my neighbor’s ones, I’m happy with what I have. 😉
    Funny post, you know how I enjoy these colour posts of yours!

Oh Alberto you make me laugh…the most green I have lots of times is my weeds…So glad you have enjoyed the posts…I am sad they are finished..perhaps I can continue them next year but in a different way..we shall see.

8. Libby says:

Hi! Just linked over from Nature Notes – LOVE all the green! (I like your summer countdown clock in the right column, as well 🙂

Libby so nice to see you. I will pop over and visit you as well…so glad you liked the greens…the summer clock is there to remind me that the seasons will be changing before we know it and it will be time for another Seasonal Celebrations…hope you stop by June 1st to read about the meme.

9. Eileen says:

I just love all your greens. Yuur gardens must look wonderful. And the green critters are all beautiful. I love your green post. Have a great day!

Eileen how kind of you to say so…so glad you enjoyed your visit and the green post…every year I don’t know what Mother Nature will bring so we will see how beautiful things are…we have had one freeze and due for another and some frosty nights…all the blooms and buds that were fooled into opening 3 weeks early are not happy…hope we can keep most of them.

10. ramblingwoods says:

You packed in so much information with this post and I learned a lot Donna..I love green and frogs are a passion of mine..well protecting them is so I enjoyed seeing your frogs..I looked around the garden today and there are some wilted leaves but probably not as many as without cover. Thursday night hubby and I will have to do it all over again..or he will as I hurt my back the first time…Much to early for all this activity….and I so love the plants that we planted…Michelle

Michelle we had some unhappy blooms too…I hope they can take another freezing night…glad you enjoyed the color post…they are fun to do…I love my frogs too…they are quite the characters!

11. Carolflowerhillfarm says:

Oh Donna, I am green with envy at all the energy you have! Love colors and just had a fabulous workshop studying with a expressionist painter in Provincetown . . . all about color in painting that is. Terrific series! Wonderful collages! Happy April!

Carol I am green with envy with all the talent you have taking the most amazing pictures….I hope perhaps you might share some of the things you learned about color…it is fascinating. So glad you enjoyed the series…Happy April!!

So glad to have you visit…green is a great calming color which is why I think nature and the garden are so calming for me…so happy you enjoyed your visit and all the greens!!

12. Tootsie says:

I love the quote at the beginning of this post…good post today…learned a lot!
    Once again I am just loving the tour of all the gardens that have linked in to my little party! I am so excited to visit each and every post…they are all so inspiring and I am NEVER disappointed! The creative gardens and colorful displays that I am lucky to see are inspirations that I would never have found had I not found each of the gardeners I see online! Thank you so much for sharing your garden with my Friday Flaunt this week…I do hope you will link in again soon!
    This post is being shared on my Tootsie Time Facebook page too just so you are aware.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

13. Ramona says:

Beautiful!!! I was just noticing the other day how lovely the leaves are on my Virginia Bluebells. I’ve had them 2 years, and this is the first time I remember taking note of the leaves!

Ramona so nice of you to visit my garden and blog. So glad you enjoyed all the “green”. I do love looking for the leaves of the VA bluebells in early spring..they are so unusual. I think I actually first noticed them by chance soon after I started growing this lovely wildflower.

14. Aimee says:

What an energizing color – and it’s the time of year when we are so ready for it! I’m behind you on starting peas – I just put mine in this week! I’ve had arugula and lettuce and other greens in for a while, but missed the boat on peas and beans. Life just got busy!

Boy do I love that picture of your green FROG! How nice that he’s in the garden!

The frogs are hopping back to the pond…Big Daddy showed up today….my veg garden is amazing and I hope to harvest soon even with the cool weather.