The First Colors of Spring

IMG_0470

“They always say that times changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.”
Andy Warhol

I felt my soul stir and my essence spring into life again when I finally began working the soil in my garden.  I saw many good friends who were showing up to welcome me back.  They gave me a spiritual push giving me much needed renewal and energy.  The smell of the soil and grass stirred some new life in me that had been buried under the snow of this long winter.

My garden is my sacred place.  It is where I feel happy, serene, curious, contemplative and at home.  The wildlife that visit me in my garden inspire me to continue to recreate my garden for them.  And then there are the beautiful plants and blooms that pop up more every day albeit slowly due to the cold beginning to April.

IMG_0492

Whatever is at the center of our life will be the source of our security, guidance, wisdom, and power.

Stephen Covey

It is truly inspirational right now as I snap picture after picture to try to capture the beauty everywhere.  And I actually have more than a few flowers for Garden Blogger’s Bloom Day to show you.  I am joining Carol@May Dream Gardens who hosts Garden Blogger’s Bloom Day on the 15th.

You may notice that I adore purple flowers and maybe my love of purple is why my front door is also purple.  Or maybe it is because they say that purple is the most spiritual color.

Crocus

IMG_0434Language of Flowers–Youthful gladness

IMG_0493

IMG_0446

Iris reticulata

IMG_0375

Language of Flowers–I Have a Message for You; Good News

IMG_0460

See the winter aconite peeking through in the background.

Hellebore

Language of Flowers–Usefulness

Hyacinth

IMG_0515

Language of Flowers–Constancy

Daffodil

IMG_0483

Language of Flowers–I desire a return of affection; regard, chivalry

IMG_0510

Can you see it….it is starting to emerge.  It is almost here.  The first daffodil of spring.  Daffodils are prefect harbinger for spring because they seem to bring sunshine where there is little in the first days of spring here in the Northeast.  We seem to have more gray days, but they are brightened considerably by these yellow flowers.  Those that study colors and their meanings say too much yellow can be overstimulating, but when you have little color daffodils will bring so much cheer.  I know I feel more energetic and optimistic in the presence of daffodils in my garden.  I have so many that continue to naturalize.  Perfect for my wildlife garden as the wildlife leave the daffs alone.  And this year, I think I will bring some indoors to my home and office to continue to spread the happiness from my garden.

Foliage

I have some foliage beginning but nothing major as the garden is still slow to emerge, but let’s celebrate what we can find.  I will be linking in with Pam@Digging for her Foliage Follow Up on the 16th, and Christina@Creating my own garden of the Hesperides for her Garden Bloggers Foliage Day on the 22nd.

I created a couple of galleries to showcase the many plants sporting spring foliage and new growth.

• Eastern Prickly Pear cactus
  • Chives
  • Hardy Geranium
  • Allium
  • Fairy Rose
  • Columbine

• Pulmonaria
  • Lamium
  • Yarrow
  • Polemonium reptans ‘Stairway to Heaven’
  • Hardy Cyclamen
  • Corydalis
  • Lavender
  • Oriental Poppy

“The purpose of life is to discover your gift. The meaning of life is to give your gift away.”  ~David Viscott

**Some flowers are identified by putting your cursor on the picture.

__________________________________________________________________________

Those Using Google Reader

You may or may not be aware that Google Reader will no longer exist after July 1st.  If you have subscribed to my blog or others using Google Reader, you will need to find a new reader.  There have been many folks who have blogged about new readers.  I have tried both Bloglovin and Feedly and easily moved my Google Reader blogs to both of these.  I have not decided which I like best, but I do have a Bloglovin badge on the sidebar if you want to click and sign up to Gardens Eye View again.  Of course you can enter any URL in any of the readers out there and follow your favorite blogs.

I do hope you will continue to follow Gardens Eye View in your new reader.  I greatly value your support and readership.

__________________________________________________________________________

Next up on the blog:  Next Monday is Earth Day and I have a special book review.  There’s another Wildflower Tale at the end of the month.  The garden is a busy place these days and I hope to capture some of the highlights to share.  I hope you will join me.

I will be linking in with Michelle@Rambling Woods for her Nature Notes meme.  It is a great way to see what is happening in nature around the world every Wednesday.

I hope you will join me for my posts once a month at Beautiful Wildlife Garden. See my most current post now.

As always, I’ll be joining Tootsie Time’s Fertilizer Friday.

All original content is copyrighted and the sole property of Donna Donabella @ Gardens Eye View, 2010-2013.  Any reprints or use of content or photos is by permission only.

Beautiful Donna, but it is amazing to see these spring friends again, most are long gone from my garden which is now dashing headlong towards summer, without much pause to enjoy spring. Happy GBBD and happy gardening to you! Christina

Lovely Donna! Judging from your foliage pictures you seem parallel to us at the moment… my first daff opened two days ago! None of my iris reticulata came up this year -yours are so pretty, I’ll have to try planting some more in a different spot. And I just want to add that you express exactly my sentiments (and so well) in your first paragraph. Isn’t it just great out there! 😀

3. Christy says:

Hi Donna…Your blooms are beautiful and I just love the ones that are striped….just incredible!! So glad spring has finally arrived in your area. It feels so good to be out working in the garden.

Spring really graced central NY. You have such a poetic way of description, filled with enthusiasm and joy. I hope the rains keep your garden glowing with color this year and your delight constant.

Oh Donna your words touched me and are so special…thank you! We definitely are having rains. About 3 inches so far in April. A bit cold but that will shift back and then it will be a non-stop mad dash to summer.

5. Kathy Sturr of the Violet Fern says:

Wow Donna! You have more blooms than I do. I have crocus and a few reticulated iris. The daffodils are up and so is the muscari but not quite blooming yet. None of my glory of the snow or anemones are blooming yet. You have many of my favorites! I like to add more spring bloomers each year and I need to add that aconite and squill. I notice columbine, the rhubarb just starting, and lady’s mantle and geranium foliage. Happy bloom day! My garden is my sacred place as well. Beautifully written.

Thanks Kathy….I love to add more bulbs too…I know you have had a terrible April with cold, wind and snow again…hoping your blooms spring up in large numbers.

6. igardendaily says:

Gorgeous photos Donna! I particularly love puschkinia, striped squill. Is that a native in your area? I wonder if it would grow for me….

Yes, I love seeing old friends in the garden too but many of mine are getting a bit sad because it keeps freezing every night!!! Ugh!

Thanks! No puschkinia is not a native to the US and I am sure it would grow for you. Hardy from zones 3-9. A great early spring bulb from Asia. Hoping it has warmed up for you.

7. spurge says:

Lots of bright colors in your spring garden – I love the deep blues you have! It’s great to see things FINALLY start happening, isn’t it?

8. KL says:

After each pic, you had “language of flower.” Were you referring to their names or color? Oh! you have just way too beautiful flowers!! Where do you buy them from, if I may ask? I don’t know if yellow is overstimulating or not but they make the whole place smile with joy and happiness – yellow flowers, that is

KL the language of flowers is based on the flower itself not the color…lots of history behind the uses of flowers which is where the language of flowers come from.

I buy my bulbs from many sites like Brecks, Dutch Bulbs and John Scheppers. Scheppers has tons of unusual bulbs.

beautiful blooms Donna, your garden really seems to be bursting into spring,
    I completely understand how you feel at being able to get into your garden at last, I have been thinking of those people who live with snow long winters and I am not sure I could, I remember when I was in Winniepeg in a snow covered March ’94 and I found a covered park with lots of plants including trees, cafe/restraurants, music, childrens play area, the town was empty and this covered oasis was bursting with life and people, we need plants, I’m glad your long winter is over and hope the next will be kinder, Frances x

10. Grace Peterson says:

I switched to Feedly and like it well enough. I’m glad there was another option available so easily.

Yes, spring is happening. Your blossoms are lovely and I love that your snow is finally gone. Have a great week in the garden. 🙂 And thank you for your encouragement regarding my literary pursuits. I feel like I’m finally on the home stretch.

11. Mary Anne from Leafport.com says:

I enjoyed your flowers and especially your opening quote…which reminds me of my own favorite saying from Benjamin Franklin: “The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.” Happy spring!

So glad to see some blooms in your garden! And oh, they are so pretty! Gorgeous pics. I know exactly what you mean about going outside and digging in the dirt. It’s addicting!

Not only a spiritual colour but the colour of royalty (ma’am) I am very well impressed at how quickly the blooms in your garden come through with a break in the weather. Look at Reticulata behaving like a true perennial in your garden.

You are so correct that purple is the color of royalty Alistair. My blooms in early spring are amazing as they bloom right through the snow or right after it melts and they can take the cold snaps we get like the one this past weekend. My reticulatas are well behaved here in the snow country.

14. Karin/Southern Meadows says:

Your words very much reflect how I feel about my garden too! You put it down into words much better than I could! It is magical to see the plants emerging from the soil after their winter slumber bringing so much life to the garden. Happy GBBD! Enjoyed your beautiful blooms & foliage!

15. Carver says:

Wonderful shots of your spring flowers. I used to have a lot of crocuses but many of them don’t come up anymore. Your post was a particular delight since I got to see your crocuses.

16. Rose says:

Beautiful, Donna! I agree that seeing the first flowers of spring energizes me, too. I want to get out every day to see what is new in the garden and clean up the remaining brown debris of last year’s garden–if only it would stop raining here. The deep blue of the iris reticulata is stunning!

17. Leora says:

Such beautiful color combinations you have found in spring! I really love your little thumbs of what you call foliage at bottom. Love seeing those creeping up in the ground at this time of year. Rebirth.

18. Carolyn says:

I so agree with you… getting back out in the gardens after such a long Winter is solace to the soul. We had a few days of perfect gardening weather where I basked in the warmth of the sunshine and got my hands dirty in the soil transplanting tender perennials. The last week as been very cold, (24° F in my gardens right now) and I’m feeling so anxious for it to warm up again so I can work the soil again.

A cold spell here too and so much not done in the garden. I do hope I can get the first round of clean up done soon. After all it will be May soon.

19. Alberto says:

Hey, it looks like you’ve been cheating and you do have some Spring there, indeed! 🙂
    The first picture is so pretty and I didn’t know that helleborus means scandal in flower language… Who’s gonna tell my little helleborus that he’s outrageous now?!

It is amazing to have these blooms popping up despite our weather…oh those hellebores do already know they create a scandal in the garden Alberto.

20. Carolflowerhillfarm says:

Wow, Donna you are so ahead of us! You must have a milder climate than mine in Western MA. I suppose your climate will become mine soon enough though and then butterfly bush will have to go. Lovely cheery faces in all your bounty of blooms. Happy Gardening . . . we are so lucky to have our gardens and to enjoy all the wild critters that visit and live with us. Lovely thoughts throughout your post too.

Thanks so much Carol. I am zone 5b and we had about 200 inches of snow this year. I was so surprised to see the butterfly bushes seeding like they did…I do feel lucky to have my wildlife garden and I love getting peaks into yours.

21. Sandra Pawula says:

Beautiful! I especially like what you said about how working in your garden creates nourishment for other creatures. My surroundings are almost all green. I’ll be working to add more color here. Thanks for the inspiration.

22. Bernieh says:

Our gardens truly are spiritual places, aren’t they? You’ve certainly got a lot of old friends popping up at the moment. They are beautiful! It’s wonderful to hear that your long winter is finally over.

23. Loredana Donovan says:

Wow, Donna, gorgeous blooms! I love the variety of flowers and colors. So glad Spring finally came your way. And of course, I will keep following your blog! I think the Blogger Reading List will still be available so I will continue to get your updates. Happy Sunday 🙂

24. Susan says:

Lovely post Donna. The “purpose of life…” quote is very meaningful.
    I am in a purple and yellow phase right now. I had crocus and muscari in my previous rose bed followed by an under planting of violas.

25. Helene says:

Lovely Donna, so good to see spring is arriving in your garden! And I fully agree that you can’t have too many daffodils at this time of year, those yellow nodding little heads makes me smile every time I go out in my garden 🙂

26. catmint says:

dear donna, there is so much to comment on in your posts sometimes I don’t know where to start. I always appreciate the quotes, but the one by David Viscott really rings a chord. Also, the Prickly Pear photo rang a chord. Just this morning a friend brought me some de-prickled Prickly Pears to eat – they are delicious!

Catmint that is one of my favorites as it says what I feel deeply. When I lived in the desert SW they sold prickly pear fruit and pads from the plant. I have never eaten it but once the plant gets much bigger and there is fruit, I hope we can try it.

27. RamblingWoods says:

How beautiful Donna..I hope to get outside today for a bit and see what is peeking up… The landscaper suggested that I plant Lamium under my japanese maple tree, but what I read said it isn’t native… Michelle

28. Jim Anderson says:

Yes, spring has finally arrived. The early bulbs are a welcome addition to every garden and you included all the good ones.

I have to give my nod to one woody plant that is a great complement to the purple flowered bulbs, the hybrid witch hazel, such as Arnold’s Promise. Yellow fragrant flowers on a tree/shrub under planted with purple crocus looks fabulous!

29. Arija says:

Anyones body and soul would be rejuvenated with so many wonders popping up after the long winter snows.
    I so wish we had real winters with now here. I have to keep my bulbs in the fridge for six weeks before planting or they stop flowering.

Donna, Your flowers are fantastic! My pulmonaria hasn’t shown up yet; I hope they do. Love their sweet little pink and blue flowers. Your iris are a stunning blue. Loved your first photo with the crocus and snowdrops. Spring is a time of discovery; I like to go walk around the gardens every day to see what’s new.
    Blessings, Beth

31. Janet, The Queen of Seaford says:

It is always interesting to learn the language of flowers. Your garden waking up from the winter that seemingly never ended is so exciting. Sunny yellow daffodils are always so bright and seem to glow.
    I am still up in the air about Bloglovin or Feedly….who knows.

So glad you enjoyed the flowers and their meanings. It has been exciting to see so many long lost friends. This could be an exciting year in the garden. Certainly a busy one as I am planting and planning at the same time as I am still cleaning the garden.

32. Jean says:

Donna, I’m a bit late getting caught up with blog posts (I’m engaging in grading avoidance :-)), but I just wanted to say how much I adore that first image.