Seasonal Celebrations Revealed-June 2013

IMG_6252

“Summer is the time when one sheds one’s tensions with one’s clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all’s right with the world.”–  Ada Louise Huxtable

As summer kicks into high gear, I will be partaking of those balmy days here at home and basking in the knowledge that the world is open to me.  Most years at this time we are in a hot, dry time with occasional showers and storms so the summer is a lovely time to enjoy the sun.

IMG_7516Right now though our spring is continuing to roller coaster.  We have had more cool days and cold nights in June.  A couple of warm days with sunshine but few.  Rainfall totals in June have reached 8 inches and we are due for more.  Flooding now is everywhere and my back gardens, actually all the gardens, are sodden.  I have had to continue to wear my muck boots as I am ankle-deep in mud and water.

But I have faith there will be warm, muggy days in the sun to help me follow the flow of life.  For me the feel of summer is as if time is standing still and each day is a new adventure.  I plan on getting this feeling back over the summer.  As I said in my Summer mantra, I am beginning again and delighted to find my next path.  Summer is a perfect time for vacations.  I rarely have taken summers off or gone on vacation in my educational career so this will be a joy.

“Forever — is composed of nows –“ Emily Dickinson

So let’s look at the celebrations this new summer season is bringing in the Northern Hemisphere:

IMG_7079

Katarina@Roses and Stuff  regales us with her perfect Sommarmorgon which is Swedish for Summer Morning.  Early walks in the dawn of the day are refreshing, and I am planning to make the most of summer mornings.  Thanks for reminding me Katarina.

Loredana@Blogging Away is celebrating Tranquility this summer, and she finds it throughout the beautiful NY countryside.

What I enjoy about summer is spending lots of time outdoors in the peacefulness of nature. Life can be so hectic sometimes, and I just love quiet moments.

I so agree Loredana that the perfection of summer is finding those tranquil moments, and I will be noticing them throughout my summer.

IMG_7085

From Edinburgh, Scotland, Angie@Angie’s Garden Diaries is awash in sparrow fledglings.   Her pictures are so cute of the babes around her garden.   Bird babies are certainly a welcome sight in summer as we watch them grow, and get ready to move on eventually.

The beautiful white lilies at Roses and Other Gardening JoysHolley’s Texas garden blog, are certainly something to celebrate in both the sunlight and moonlight.  Holley tells us she reigns over her garden as judge and jury and I for one am glad since she has some of the most beautiful flowers especially roses.  I realized I did not have any lilies in my white garden, but was able to find a few still available and have planted them.  Can’t wait to see them Holley!

Karin@Southern Meadows is having a summer party in her Georgia garden as she celebrates no schedules and alarm clocks.  Karin’s gardens are an oasis for pollinators finding nectar in native plants.  And then there are the “berry” good surprises in the edible garden too.  My favorite kind of surprises, yummy!

I agree with Karin that summer is perfect for throwing away clocks and schedules if you can.  Time to enjoy each and every moment.

IMG_7555

KL@Beautiful Boonton and A Novice Gardener is reveling in summer although the weather in her NJ garden is similar to mine.  And NJ gardens are known for their fabulous edibles so I was not surprised to see the wonderful fruits and veggies already growing there.

As this gardener puts it, “So, summer is a time for me to rejoice as much as in birth, life and beauty as in death.”

I can relate as we gardeners know summer is so busy growing some plants and eradicating others….you know those pesky weeds.

Do you ever throw caution to the wind?   That’s the question Beth@PlantPostings asks us.  Beth contemplates the risks as she accompanies her Wisconsin Master Naturalist class on a hike through a beautiful natural prairie a rare sight indeed.  Good thing Beth threw caution to the wind and enjoyed the unique and wonderful sights without worrying about any turned ankles, ticks or the like.  I think I will take her lesson to heart and just enjoy all the unique opportunities summer has to offer.

IMG_7130

Michelle@The Sage Butterfly is moving from spring into summer in her Virginia garden.  As she puts it:

Summer brings lazy days of drinking lemonade on the patio, slow rambles by the creek catching a glimpse of dragonflies, and early warm mornings listening to birds awaken and stretch through the sky.

All lovely childhood memories of summer for me that I hope to reawaken.

And from her lovely Maine garden, Jean@Jean’s Garden gives us a tour on this first day of summer.  We are surrounded by the lovely pastel pinks that seem to be everywhere.  As Jean puts it,

The soft, sweet feel of the summer air is echoed in the garden, which is primarily a study in soft pastels. As I looked out from the deck this morning, I saw a mix of blues, pinks and lavenders.

What a spectacular view from a tranquil garden that I hope one day to visit.

IMG_7521

Pam@Pam’s English Cottage Garden celebrated the arrival of summer with a tour of her beautiful Pennsylvania gardens.  I adore her cottage gardens and would love to visit them someday.  The people who had a tour on this glorious longest day were very lucky indeed.  Summer is off to a grand start in Pam’s Garden.

There is a celebration of roses this June summer at Pat@Commonweeder’s Connecticut garden.  She has 60+ stunning roses that she is featuring on her wonderful blog.  I am looking forward to visiting her garden one June in the future to see these roses in person, and drink in their heavenly sight and scent.

Andrea@igardendaily in Idaho is celebrating the change to summer with garden tours and shasta daisies.  As she says:

Tell me gardeners, what screams “Happiness” more than Shasta daisies!  These joyous little blooms just have a way of bringing a smile to your mind and maybe even some extra energy for the day.

I love daisies this time of year and can’t wait to see all the lovely petals that bring a smile to my face.  Andrea reminds us to continue the summer celebration with visits to gardens or spend time in your own.

I hope you enjoyed this retrospective of these wonderful blog posts.  Feel free to click through and read the entire post…you won’t be disappointed.

As I leave you with a very lovely contemplative summer poem, I hope you will join in the next Seasonal Celebration.  It will start September 1st.

IMG_6370

“A something in a summer’s Day
As slow her flambeaux burn away
Which solemnizes me.
A something in a summer’s noon —
A depth — an Azure — a perfume —
Transcending ecstasy.
And still within a summer’s night
A something so transporting bright
I clap my hands to see —
Then veil my too inspecting face
Lets such a subtle — shimmering grace
Flutter too far for me —
The wizard fingers never rest —
The purple brook within the breast
Still chafes it narrow bed —
Still rears the East her amber Flag —
Guides still the sun along the Crag
His Caravan of Red —
So looking on — the night — the morn
Conclude the wonder gay —
And I meet, coming thro’ the dews
Another summer’s Day!”
–  Emily Dickinson, A Something in a Summer’s Day

__________________________________________________________________________

Next up on the blog:  Monday is another combo Simply The Best Herbs and Wildflower Tales.

I hope you will join me for my posts once a month at Beautiful Wildlife Garden. See my most current post now.  Next post is up on June 25th.

All original content is copyrighted and the sole property of Donna Donabella @ Gardens Eye View, 2010-2013.  Any reprints or use of content or photos is by permission only.

I sort of dislike this moment, the changing of the year; the evening becoming shorter again, not longer, the expectation of the long summer drought when I want to hibernate but then comes September, the rain and for me it will seem like a second spring. Christina

So for you summer is not a favorite time perhaps? I too dislike the idea that the days will only shorten now. And now that I will have time to work in the garden it will be so hot (90s) and humid. But because of our long cold winters I will enjoy that heat I think. Have a great weekend Christina.

• Christina says:

I look forward to the warm when it is winter but really it is spring and autumn I like best, when it is warm but not too hot; I’m sorry I sounded so negative about summer, I am remembering how terrible it was last year, I shouldn’t just expect that it will be the same this year; hot but not terrible drought is do-able. You have a great weekend too!

You did not sound all that negative just honest…some people love the heat…me I will tolerate it but enjoy the warmth of spring and fall as well…we will keep our fingers crossed for a tolerable summer to enjoy!

2. Liz says:

I’m going to try my hardest to ignore any reference to the days becoming shorter again because it’ll only depress me. I do love this time of year when it’s still twilight at 11pm or even midnight.

Not too keen on heat, just warmth is enough for me. After all, when it’s hot I don’t want to do any work in the garden and it’s too hot to sit outside anyway because I have no shade in my south-facing garden so I have to hide indoors until it cools 🙂

I will tolerate hot weather as I can still remember our winter and cool spring…but I too melt in the heat. I also try to only think of the long wonderful summer days…stay cool and hopefully your summer days will be warm and long Liz!

Love the Dickinson poem to wrap it up! Your photos with this post are incredible, Donna. Thanks so much for your collaboration, and I look forward to even more collaboration in the future. (Let’s set up a meeting time, soon, OK?) Happy Summer!

Absolutely Beth…just email some good times. So glad you enjoyed the post…such wonderful bloggers and posts again joining in…I am loving the collaboration of our seasonal memes.

4. Sheila (GreenPlace) says:

A beautiful post, Donna. Gorgeous photos, especially the first of the yellow lily. So you’re taking the summer off? That’s wonderful. Your comment about “time standing still” in summer is what I remember most fondly from childhood. It’s perhaps what I love most about time on the island in Maine… The challenge is to cultivate that sense of an ever-present now and joy in the moment in our daily lives. I think that’s why I began the daily backyard photo series, come to think of it.

Happy summer!

So glad you enjoyed it Sheila. I am taking the summer off with my retirement from my career of 30+ years. I will be back at work working as a consultant as they will need help, but I hope to keep it to a minimum. I love the idea of taking a daily photo to practice that joy in the moment.

5. KL says:

Thank you for including that post and writing another nice piece. You really read those posts with all your concentrations and know how to summarize them. Wow! :-). Ah! I am feeling the laziness of summer, and weather has been fabulous here for last few days. Feeling jealous :-P?

So glad you enjoyed the summaries. I love reading them a couple times actually. The summer heat is here and my veggies are very happy. Won’t be long now for lots of harvesting.

8 inches of rain!!! My eyes are popping out! It has decided not to rain here in June, but I’m still hopeful that we will get a shower or two this summer and not fall into another drought. I would love summer more if I had finished my spring chores! Oh, well, there’s always next year! 🙂

I hear you Holley…those spring chores for me will be summer and fall chores again, but now I will have a bit more time to enjoy them. I do hope you get a bit of rain. Drought is just no fun for the garden or gardener.

We had a wonderful summer day today – not too hot, a light breeze and a few clouds in a blue sky. I can only wish it stays like this for the rest of the summer! Wishing you lots of warm and dry days, and some enjoyable moments in your garden Donna. Happy Summer!

Cathy that first day of summer sounded like a dream. I spent 14 hours in the city where I work. I worked a half day and then went to lunch with friends before we gathered at a friend’s house for my retirement party. What a perfect day for it. Low 80s, blue skies and a light breeze. it ended as I drove home with the almost full moon rising. Bliss!!!

• Cathy says:

Congratulations! So your last working day is now a thing of the past, just leisure to look forward to… 😉 LOL! Enjoy your first summer of retirement Donna!

Unfortunately I have to work until July 31st, but I have lots of vacation time to use so it won’t be many more work days…I think 13. So I can ease into it a bit.

Your shots are all beautiful, but that first one blew me away! YOur flowers reached their peaks at your summer months, while ours are more beautiful during our rainy season.

Our summer is usually hot, humid and rain…but even if there is little summer rain, the snow and spring rain really make the flowers bloom in summer….glad you enjoyed the photos…that lily was spectacular last year.

Wonderful Jean. I have added your post to the wrap up above. I love your garden of pink as summer starts. It appears we will have that sun and warmth for a while as temps are moving into the high 80s and mid 90s with all the humidity. Have a fabulous summer in Maine Jean!

Wonderful Jason. I would love to have you join in. It will start on September 1st and I have already put up the reminder on my sidebar. The bloggers who join in are all such talented writers and photographers.

Boy has the seasons changed here in Western New York. It is like each day is a surprise for what the day will bring. Like you have experienced, we have had the range of temperatures also, but not as much rain as you have had so far. This coming week is rain everyday. I like rain, but seeing the flooding in Calgary, that is a bit scary.

Glad to hear you are getting some rain Donna, but yes floods are scary. We are quickly drying out with the heat and maybe the skeeters will calm down some. We are in for a hot, humid week with little rain they say, but I bet we will get a few storms with the heat.

10. Foxglove Lane says:

I love that “the world is open to me”…..getting a sense of that from your whole tone in your writing……..been travelling for a while but am back and keeping my eye on things here………you are blazing the trail. X

I was so in awe of your travels Catherine…so many wonderful places …the world does seem open to me and I plan to see more of it!! Your encouraging words are so appreciated. X

11. Sheryl @ Flowery Prose says:

Wishing you a wonderful, relaxing summer! Sure hope it dries out, both for you and for us here in southern Alberta! Thank you for this round up of wonderful posts – I look forward to reading them all! 🙂

12. Pam's English Garden says:

Oh, Donna, you write such beautiful postings — I love your poetry! I believe you will have a wonderful retirement doing those things you love, as you ‘begin again and find your next path’. I have linked to your meme — a bit late for me to participate, but you will understand why when you read my posting. I look forward to reading all the Seasonal Celebrations entries. Thanks for hosting this meme. Pam x

I read your post before I saw this comment. I am adding your post to the wrap up so no matter if you are late…what a wonderful way to celebrate summer!!! I do so enjoy hosting this meme…so glad you were able to participate Pam.

13. Loredana Donovan says:

Thank you for your lovely summary of my post. It was fun participating. I love all the pretty flowers on this post. Enjoy your summer and congratulations on your retirement and lots of “dolce far niente”!

14. Casa Mariposa says:

I just realized who you are! I feel like such a dope! The last time I clicked your profile, Blogger didn’t give me any info so I didn’t think you had a blog! Geez… Duh… I’m adding you to my sidebar so I don’t miss another post. Summer has been wonderful here so far. Moist, mild, and sunny. No complaints, except for the wabbits!

Oh how funny…how nice of you to add me and I look forward to your visits. Glad to hear your summer is going well!!

I loved the poem! I would happily send you some heat and humidity. I agree that summer feels as if time is standing still, but there are other paths waiting to explore. Enjoy your new adventures!

Oh we have what we wished for a week of it with storms already 🙂 And thank you for the lovely thoughts…I am excited and cannot wait for the adventures.

16. Randy Hyden says:

You have a neat way of expressing the changing season. Summer is sweet, but July will bring the hope for September down here. We just “get through” July and August. It`s an annual ordeal that is payment for the milder winters.

How nice of you to say so Randy….the idea of July as hope is interesting and so different for us Northerners. We want July and August to linger long as we know what September means…shorter colder days to come….

17. The Sage Butterfly says:

It is always a pleasure to read about the seasons here, and this summer sounds like a lovely jaunt through the country as seen through all of these bloggers eyes. Lovely post for a lazy and relaxing summer.

Glad you enjoyed the slow, easy ride for summer…and it was so nice to have many bloggers contribute such great posts including yours 🙂